Can't catch a weather break

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Jun 3, 2007.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Been a tough year. An ice storm was the ice breaker for a 2 year drought then the rains came, and came, and are still coming. We go from zero to mud overnight and with heavy clay, flooded streams and river banks, it's hard for a man to get enough dry days to make a living. I am not complaining about the money this year but the scheduling and backlog of work has been a nightmare. This has been the wettest S. central TX Spring in more than 50 years and more rain is forecast for the next two days. I am so backlogged and behind on large, well paying projects that I can't think straight. Anyone else going through this type of stress? What do you do to cope and how do you keep a positive attitude?
    Any thoughts on what one can do on the wet days? That has been a source of brainstorming in my house. How to make the most of time off due to weather?

2. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's very, very dry here in Ohio in places. The corn and beans look terrible. A few places have got some hit and miss rain but not enough to do much. Some guys are talking about tilling all the corn up and planting beans. It's getting so late in the year I don't think that is a good idea either. We are just going to take our chance with what we have. Seems like no matter where your at anymore it is either too wet or too dry.

3. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I just heard that the Mexicans are pullling up agave in favor of corn. Guess it's been wet down there. Go figure. Climate is probably shifting. Not because of Man, but on a natural timetable.

4. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Huntsville, AL is -16 inches for the year in rainfall. Nothing but good weather for work, although it is getting a bit dusty. I think it has been three weeks since I saw any real rain. I don't mind dry weather, but occasional rain would be nice. Maybe you Texans could put it in tanker trucks and send it this way?

5. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been very dry in Indiana too. I can't remember a late spring/early summer where it was this dusty already. It's been driving me crazy on my dozer. I'll have a factory cab and A/C on my next one, guarenteed! We had our dryest May in 16 years. Don't get me wrong, I'll take dust over mud any day, but the ground is hard as he!! and makes it more difficult to grade unless I rip it first. This is how it usually is around late July through August. The crops here are hurting too.

Yellow- I know how you feel. I go through it every winter from around Jan. through early March, it's usually too wet or frozen to do any grading. I would try to take care of any maintenence that you might have, repairs, shop clean-up, etc... I'm sure you've probably already done all that. I try to do home improvements too when I have slow work due to weather. Get some family/friends time in too if they're off work or not at school. If you meant other ways to make money, it's hard to say.

Enjoy you're time off as much as possible, even though you want and need to be working. You know how it is to be swamped and not have time for the things that really count.:usflag:

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I actually play on the computer, watch movies, and play video games online when I off for days at a time. Wife has to work and kids are in school most of the time so I usually find time to try and relax. It's hard when it's pouring and my schedule is backing up. luckily, we don't have to deal with frozen ground for more than a few days at time. That's rare.
    Maybe the dust bowl is hitting the midwest again? Wet, wet, wet in TX. We have waterfalls that haven't run in 2 years and the nearest big lake went up 30feet this spring. It has been down 45 feet from the drought!
    Well, it's thundering now and I have base coming for a drive in the morning. Always fun to cancel and reschedule trucks.

By the way, I love enclosed cabs. My lungs do much better now and I can work longer days and actually look halfway presentable after a day of grinding.

7. Fieldman12

We had weather like this I think back in 2000. That year the beans around the home place made less than 10 bushels an acre. Most years they make around 60 bushels. Corn was making like 40 or 50 bushels. That looks like it could happen around here again. A guy I know was talking about tilling up 3,000 acres of his corn. No way most could afford to tear up that much ground around here except him. I passed a guy the other day on the tractor to go mow my waterway on the tractor. He was out plating beans. They was not a drop of moisture in that soil and the dust was taking my breath away. I was trying to hold my breath but the dust was terrible.

8. Fieldman12

As far as the excavating thing goes. It has slowed down allot due to the economy. Not near as many building houses as they where. I read an article the other day that was talking about this is the first time in history that the son's are making less money than there fathers. Corn and bean prices will probably rise over not as good of a yields this fall from what I'm hearing in various parts of the US. They was talking around here they thought land prices would stay high even though a big drop off in house building, They figured the farmers would hold the prices up there since all the demand for corn and beans for Ethanol and Bio Diesel production. Now allot of farmers will not be able to afford too due to the yields. It's still a little early but if things don't get rain soon it wont be good. Fuel and gas prices are killing things also. I don't know about where most of you live but around here people are not spending. Allot of people are only making $10.00 to $12.00 an hour. With prices on fuel and everything else going up because of it I could easily see a small depression down the road. It will take several months before all of this figures into the economy because it is just not around here that this is going on.

9. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Fieldman,
    Things sound fairly bleak up there. I guess I am don't have anything to complain about as this area is booming as hard as it ever has. Brush grinding has really taken off and there seems to be so many people retiring and building in the hills that all you hear are machines working. When I moved here 10 years ago, NW of San Antonio, it was quiet and peaceful. Now, it's a booming small town soon to be identified as a suburb.

I think I won't complain too much about being behind on work. Good luck with a turnaround up in Ohio!

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We've had a dry spring. Today it's finally raining, been 10 days I believe of 75+ temperatures here which is record breaking. We had 85 in Seattle on Wednesday, 92 in Tacoma which is absolutely unheard of, even in July and August. My lawns are drying up, I welcome the rain.