Can't decide......... 50" or 56" exmark lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Mar 21, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I've evaluated SO MUCH and I cannot decide between the 50 and 56" deck for the Lazer HP.

I've gone over my route and property sizes. The only difference there would be a minute savings here and there.

I think my customers would like the smaller machine on their lawns. Because most customers hate seeing big machines. --> But will there even be that much of a difference in size apperance?

What do you guys think...... any outside factors I should consider

2. bigjeeping

Or I could just borrow my buddy's 52" Husqvarna!
    I'm sure his customers love seeing this on their lawn =) (If you read this I'm just messing with you!)

000_0112s.jpg

3. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I don't know what the price difference is between the two, but if they are pretty close I would go with the bigger one. The 50" is still going to be to large to fit through most fence gates which means you will need a smaller mower for those areas. So at that point you are now mowing the larger areas with the lazer so therefore I would go with the 56"

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The 50" Triton is on the smaller frame hp(or original hp) The 56" Triton is 5" longer.

You will have more trim side on the 56 but it is longer and more expensive.

5. bigjeeping

John I've heard you refer to trim side so many times.......

i'd assume "of course you have more trim side the deck is 6" bigger" but what do you really mean.

How does the 50" have less trim side?

6. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

When John is talking about trim side he means overall width of deck in relation to the width of the mower. The longer the deck the more visibility you have of the edges of the deck when you are cutting. The 50" deck doesn't overhang out from the mower as much as the 56". Therefore with the 50" deck it is harder to get good trimming against obstacles because you have less visibility. The 56", which has more overhang, gives you more visibility. The wider the deck from the width of the mower frame. The less trimming you will have after mowing. If I am wrong then John or someone else can clarify it for me.

7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the 50. Does better in thick grass when the two being compared have the same horepower.You'll have to really try to make up time with only 6 more inches. For smaller lawns, 5 stripes looks better than 4. And for trimside, the 56 is better, but not enough to change my mind.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, summed up it is how far the left edge of the deck sticks out past the left side tires. He is saying that the 56" hangs out past the tires farther than the 50".

Which from my experience and preference isn't always a positive thing. I've found that the extra trim edge has limitations because of a higher likelyhood of scalping. I guess it depends on your properties and your likings but I would rather not have as much of a trim edge and be able to take my mower a couple more places without having to worry about or have the potential of increased scalping. Others may see it as a problem and prefer the addition trim capability.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The circled area is considered the trim side, hope this helps some.

Attached Files:

10. bigjeeping

When looking at it from the HORSEPOWER perspective....

Regardless between the 50 or 56" deck I'd get the 27HP Kohler
    I'm starting to lean towards the 50. I mean 6" would save me how much time per hour? I don't think it would matter.