Can't decide: New or used Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coronelli, Feb 20, 2007.

1. coronelli

coronelli LawnSite Member

My dealer has a used 36 inch Wright Stander with 800 hours, good tires, new blades. They tell me it's in good shape. They want $3,100 for it. I could get a brand new one for $4,600. Assuming the used mower is in good shape it seems to me like it would be a much better value and investment to buy the new one. I only plan on mowing about 200 hours max this season.
    What do you guys think.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Offer them $2700 on the used one & see if they'll bite. Never hurts to try.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

If you aren't going to get a lot of use out of it this year or in the future, it might be smarter to put your money towards another piece of equipment in the future. I would try and get your dealer to come down on the price of the used one though. 800 hours is quite a few. Is it still under warranty, how old is it, have you seen it? Make sure you drive it around and answer those questions before you buy it.

4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

If you need a second mower then try for the used one. See if you can get it a little lower or have them warranty it for the year. Oh wait that's lowballing. Dont you hate it when someone does that to you when you bid something.
    For me I would go new. Factory warranty. new parts. No brainer.
    But you may be in different financial situation.
    New you alomost have nothing to worry about if something happens except for how many days till you get it back running again
    Used you could have an issue every week if the last guy beat the hell out of it.
    Wanna see my messed up warranty and why I may never buy a used truck again http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=175855