Can't Decide - Simplicity ZT4000, Exmark Quest, or Exmark Phazer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jonboy04, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jonboy04

jonboy04 LawnSite Member

I mow an acre lot with a lot of small trees (less than 4 feet apart). I have a simplicity broadmoor (10 years old) that finally bit the dust. I want a ZTR that is commercial quality with a smaller cut (44" or less). I want a striping kit and rear bagger.

I need some help in determining the quality, longevity, and recommendations on the above machines. I am not interested in other products. I understand the high quality of the Exmark products, but the Quest is fairly new (and on the high end of length of cut length for me - 48"). The Phazer fits right in and is commercial grade. I have been extremely happy with my Simplicity and love the striping effects of my current mower. I know the Phazer and Quest do not have the striping kit options. Is there after market options for those machines?

The Simplicity has the striping kit as a standard. I know the deck does not ride on the rollers and I will not have the same look as the rider, but I still would like the option. I have not seen a lot of feedback on the Simplicity's so I am a little wary. Any help would be appreciated! :dizzy:

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you have your mind set on these brands, then I would go Phazer. You can get a striper roller from http://bigleaguelawns.com but it is going to cost you about $300.00 plus shipping.

I would not count out Huster or Scag..The Fastrak and the Freedom Z are some of the tops of homeowner Z's.

3. jonboy04

jonboy04 LawnSite Member

I am not sure if we have local service and support for those brands. I guess that is just as important. We had a local Simplicity dealer that just went out of business and was a major contributor to that brand loyalty. Awesome service cannot be overstated. I will check around and see what we have for sales, service and support for those brands. I appreciate your feedback!

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Look at Gravely Home owner HD line.

5. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

ditto what Caper says about Hustler and Scag, especially Hustler as it has the best warranty.

6. jonboy04

jonboy04 LawnSite Member

Anyone with experience with the Simplicity's?

7. jonboy04

jonboy04 LawnSite Member

8. Capemay Eagle

Exmark is among the elite in ZTR's. If you have a dealer nearby that you deal with then I would just go with that, but I would test a few other first before you lay down the cash. Most likely you age going to be using this for many, many years so make sure you get the one that fits your needs and comfort. I looked at quite a few before I made my decision. I looked at a Wright stander, Great Dane, Toro, Snapper 450Z, and a Scag Freedom Z. I really wanted the Scag Freedom but it was just a bit out of the price range, I did not want to finance anything. It was hard coming home to the wife and trying to explain that I wanted a lawn mower that was going to cost $6300 (4995.95 mower $1300.00 bag kit) after we just bought a new lawn tractor the summer before. But in the end I settled for the Hustler MFT 42". It was priced right, great homeowner warranty and the build quality and support are outstanding and it was just size for my yard (1 Acre). If you are not in a hurry take a week or two to look around..

9. jonboy04

jonboy04 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I will probably do some more quick checking. I am without a mower and will need to get one soon. The first mow of the season is right around the corner - like this weekend! If I could piece together the best of them all I would. The Phazer is looking about right except the 34" does not have a rear bagger system - what? The Quest is a little bigger than I would like. I haven't heard anything yet on the Simplicity's. I did look at some local dealers for the Hustler. They look like the mower business is a very side line piece of the other things they do (A plow business, a lift truck company - yikes!) So, I do not what to settle, but I want good local service from a place dedicated to lawn equipment, a great product and something that will last. Too much to ask for?

10. Capemay Eagle

Just search the forum for Simplicity there are lots threads from the past about these machines