Can't decide-TTHP or TT and other ?'s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wagner17, Nov 10, 2004.

1. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

I want to get either the 48" TTHP (19HP) or the 52" Turf Tracer (23HP). I know what the differences are, and the Turf Tracer is very appealing to me, but is the extra ~$1000+ justified in the cost of the mower? Very few of my accounts have gates which is my biggest concern, but I doubt that I could even get the 48" through most gates.

Also, I have been told by some that the TurfTracers stripe fine without the striping kit - is this true? Also, is the mulching kit worth it? Would it be beneficial to get the Meg-Mo blades, or stick with the Excalibur?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

Turf Tracers are great mowers. I demoed one and loved it. You should also check out the Scag SWZU it is also a very high quality mower and the advantage deck can clear anything in its pass and has an awesome stripe.
  3. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 52TTHP 17hp, I wish I would have went with the TT instead. You get the ultracut decks with the TT's and a stronger motor. I feel sometimes in heavy lush grass I need to slow the mower down so it can keep up. I ussually cut at full speed with a proslide. I am thinking about selling the tthp and buying a 60" TT or keeping the tthp and buying a 60" lazer Z. I need to have at least one walkbehind for some very hilly properties.....

with the proslide this mower stripes very nice. without the proslide it is ok.. I think the ultra cut decks stripe better than the trivantage decks
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The new 19hp/48" TracerHP should have Plenty of Horses for All Conditions.

Tracers are Not as Compact...Electric PTO vs. Manual on the HP's...I prefer the Manual..Deeper deck on the Tracers.
  5. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. I thought the TTHP ruled until I got the TT. Totally different the TT mulches great, the HP does not! Ultra deck,electric clutch, etc. They are both great, but they are quite differen't.
  6. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I have two TTHP's (36" & 48") and one TT (60"). I love them all. If I could only have one though it would definately be my 48" TTHP. Mine has the 17hp which is plenty of power. I feel it is the perfect all around size. The TT is a larger machine and does not perform quite as well in tight areas. All of my machines have mulch kits and I have no complaints with any of them. The cut they leave is awesome no matter which machine I use.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I run 52" TTHP/jungle wheels as my main mower, and I have to say it is the best buy of all time (I got it used, 01 model with ECS, 17 Kawi) The price is like 1/3 of that 6k TT so I would love every thing of this 52 TTHP. Of course, the 52" TT with 23 Kawi would be better choice IF you don't have to finance but at the same time the price is right in there with Lazer HP, for me that is not an option.
    If I have a choice to buy again, definitely that new 05 52" TThp with 19 Kawi.
    It is easier to repair due to mechanical system and of course cheaper, as far as performance, as long as it is hydro and has that 52" deck, I take TTHP anytime...superb on hill...Lazer? nope sorry for hills. I love the ECS system, once you got a hang on it, you can cut all day no complaint...
    BTW, I would say I have not seen anybody running TT in my region at all, people just go Lazers instead.