1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cant Decide what to do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Weedas_Lawn_Care, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Weedas_Lawn_Care

Weedas_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member

This is my first year in the biz. and i currently have a 52" walk behind i have a couple yards that i have to use a push mower to get in the gates and a couple of yards that my 52" BARELY makes it through the gates (sideways) but what i cant decide on is if i should get a 36" walk behind I found one for sale it is a scag 36" with a sulkie and it only has 70 hours on it and has an extra set of gator blades for a $1000. I haven't gone to look at it yet because i cant decide if i should spend that kind of money right now with it being my first year in the biz. I want one for the purposes i listed and use it for backup, small yards, and what ever else somewhere but what do you guys think i should do and i only have about 15 yards

2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

If that's a hydro model...that's a great deal. Belt drive..could be a good buy.

I wouldn't no what to do without my 36" to fit through all those narrow gates I come across...

15 yards..how big are they? Only you can justify that purchase or not. Personally, my efficiency and energy would seriously slack without my 36" in my arsenal.

3. Weedas_Lawn_Care

yea i forgot to mention its a belt drive

4. Weedas_Lawn_Care

1/4 acre yards 5000 sq. feet id say

5. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

Good deal even as a belt drive. If you can afford it, then i would buy it. It will save you a ton of walking, and even more when you business gets bigger. You might look at a 32" mower. I have one gate that my 36" gravely won't fit through and it drives me crazy. Besides that one yard I love having it. hope this helps

6. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Jump on it. It'll pay for itself.

Everyone should have a 36" WB

7. Weedas_Lawn_Care

ok thanks guys il see what i can do

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

What about a small stander? There are some deals this time of year on used stuff.

9. Weedas_Lawn_Care

stander would be good but i have never seen one for sale around here i dont think i have ever really seen one around here mabe a great dane one or twice but for a stander could you get one for that price

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Doubt that you will find a stander for $1K!