Can't demo a tiger cub 52" 23 vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tonirone, Sep 27, 2007.

1. tonirone

tonirone LawnSite Member

I have interest in a Scag tiger cub with the 23hp Briggs vanguard, the Kawasaki or Honda engines are $1200 to $1500 more. Is it worth the extra for the supposedly better engine? Will there be a noticeable power difference, will the vanguard not perform as well or last as long? It comes
    with a single stage donaldson air filter instead of a dual stage:confused:
    It's suppose to be a good engine, can't find the peak torque rating but I was
    told it was 32.9 @ 2600 rpms, if thats true its the same as the 26hp Briggs
    ELS:confused: could that be true. Really don't want to spend over 6.5-7 grand. Also was considering the DC SE 25hp Generac 50" cut. Anyone demoed the cub with the 23hp vanguard? I really want the 52" cub, all though the 48" comes with a 19hp kawasaki. Can anyone help me out:cry:
  2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a kawasaki over any other engine brand. I feel it is worth the difference. Kawasaki engine can eat more dirt than a briggs. I know this from being a small engine mechanic for 20 years.
  3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48 tiger cub with the 24 briggs and it is a mowing beast. Couldnt be happier. Briggs builds great engines
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They all make pretty good engines any more but I would go Kaw if I could afford it. You will be fine with a Briggs Vanguard though. The Briggs vanguard line are work horses, and they are inexpensive. Briggs is good for warranty work and even if one blew in a few years they are easy to replace (and cheap).