Can't demo Scag Z-Cat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danmc, May 19, 2006.

1. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

We're interested in buying a Z-Cat but my primary concern is that it will be too underpowered because it is 19hp (42inch deck) and we cut a lot of tall thick grass. We contacted our dealer and he won't let us demo it because if we don't buy it he'll have to sell it as used. I told him we would know in less than five minutes if it didn't suit our needs and he still said no dice. Keep in mind approximately 4 years we bought both of our exmarks from him and we still go to him for little stuff.
    Does anyone have experience with 19hp riders?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a 42" Scag Z Cat w/19HP Kaw. and have cut through foot high grass. It's a great versatile machine. You can't go through the high stuff at full bore, but she goes along good.

BTW, the demo thing is few and far between. If every dealer had a demo of everything on the market, someone would go broke.

hillndale:headphones:

3. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info on the Z-Cat. The dealer says it should do fine and he's been selling them like crazy. I just don't like the thought of buying something without trying it first. Times have changed though because when we bought our exmarks, he didn't hesitate to let us demo them, I guess the costs prohibit that now. Anyways, he's selling it to us for $4900 out the door. He's charging $5200 for an eMark CT but he advised us to stay away from that model - cheeply built.

Thanks again,
    Dan

4. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

One more thought. The Scag Tiger Cub (next model up from Z Cat) is the same price as the Z Cat in some markets, on special. When I got my Z Cat last year, a week later the Tiger Cub was at the same price.:hammerhead:

hillndale:headphones:

i didn't want a Tiger Cub though.

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Email Scag and ask them if they have a machine somewhere near that you can demo. Maybe they do...... Tell them it's necessary for you to demo one before you buy.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Exactly what he said, or at least go to the dealer and tell him that you'd like to speak with the factory rep about demoing a machine.

Usually if you get ahold of the rep, they'll have one that you can try for a day or two or five.

I know the Ferris rep here, he'll let you have one for up to two weeks, but it'll take a while before you get it, gotta get your name on the list.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We have a 2005 model z-cat 19 horse has a enough power to me in thick lush turf keep in mind most walk behinds have 17 horses on 48 inch cuts the 19 does fine.

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have mowed down 2 1/2 foot tall grass. 36" Z-Cat Kawi 19hp. Knocked it down in transport mode and steped it down from there. Did not bog once. Owner was so impressed he gave me a $50 tip. I had just bought the Z-Cat and wanted to see what it would do. I was on my route and passed a house the guy was out trying to mow a 20'x50' area with a 21" mower he had been out there for an hour with the front wheels 2ft in air and had made to passes when I drove by. I circled the block and said hey I will knock that down for $50 bucks. He figited alittle which told me I was basically at his top $. He agreed and I got mower off trailer wondering OK now is the test, dont let me down (lets see what your made of). He was so bewilderd, that he gave me a $100 hince the $50 tip. Good Luck on your purchase!!!!

9. 657

657 LawnSite Member

we just gave back a demo exmark laser z xs 31hp 60" , we took ours to get fixed and they gave us theirs to use for two days with out asking if we are looking for a new mower, I think we are now???

10. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

We have a few rental places around here that rent Zero turns.... might be something to look into.