Can't Figure it Out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rhett, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Took a but whooping this week. All my accounts are happy with the work but am getting calls. I would like you to come every other week, my husband is coming back in town and he will be taking over for the next few weeks and so on and so forth.
    Most of the properties looked sad at the start and are much improved.Trying to tell them that is why they hired me. Is it just that time of year or me?:blob2:

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

must be the heat.:D
    I had one tell me something like that the other week. "I won't need you anymore because my 10 and 12 year old grandsons said that they could do it."LOL. I went by there the other day and it was cut way too low, it was trimmed too, all the way down to the dirt, and edged, yes the St.Augustine was running over the edges. Wow. Oh well, if she calls back, 10% increase or nothing.

3. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

It's time to start looking for business in higher income neighborhoods. It sounds, at first impressions anyway, that you're solidly in the middle class working neighborhoods. There's nothing wrong with that, but you need to find a number of customers who's income is enough that they aren't concerned with pinching pennies. Of course, even some in the higher income neighborhoods do nothing but pinch pennies, but stick with it. Keep these customers that you already have. Just work torward a goal of not depending on them.

4. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Greenman, i too can relate to this issue. but next week in our area we will be working our buns off with all the rain we got today. we needed it.

see you around!

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

We didn't get much rain here today. Not nearly enough. Don't have too much going on next week though I will be working tomorrow and Sunday on mulch jobs.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

What was your agreement when they hired you? Sounds like you should have been more specific and/or had contracts.

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

All were to be performed on a weekly basis. Can kinda understand a few of the accounts as thier husbands are boat captains, that are gone form an extended amount of time than home for a couple of weeks. Just hate to have the gap in the schedule and look at the results. Trying to get my foot in the door in some of the wealthier subdivisoins but did not get going till late in the season. Next Year

8. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Rhett

Just be patient and hang in there. The ones who make this business work the best, are the ones who stick to it year after year.