1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can't figure out people

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i can't stand people in general. people are just strange. here we are, in a dustbowl. the lawns and plants have taken the worst beating this year than any year i can remember, due to lack of rain, and continuous high temps. i havn't worked at all this week. we've been skipping alot of lawns. and i still get phonecalls, "ummm, my lawn wasn't cut this week, is there any reason?" meanwhile the place is hammered, one big dustbowl. then there are others, "don't cut my grass, it don't need it." i don't even bother calling them back anymore. then....i have a client who i serviced a couple yrs back. mr smith is his name. he cancelled because of various reasons (not quality related). he calls this spring and begs me back. i take him back. by mid june we are in conflict over his excessive watering (and lying about it). i could care less. i drive the 48" over the sponge like lawn, leave ruts, and tear the hell out of it. when he calls and complains, i tell him tough sh!t, it's his own fault. he complains we are over priced, and we seem to only show up when we feel like it. he calls complaining we havn't trimmed his shrubs yet, i tell him they will get trimmed, when i'm good and ready to trim them!! i get a phonecall from someone looking for an entire new landscape. i got the job, it's the biggest $$$ job i've ever done in my life. guess who referred me? yup, mr. smith. the client said, " paul smith said so many good things about you, you came highly reccomended." i don't get it guys, i just don't . i'll never be able to figure people out. that's why, i quit trying. just thought i'd share, thanx for listening
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

you bet, bob.

3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

People just like to bi*** and complain. I ignore most people. Stand there shaking my head, yup, yup Ok mr. ben dover we will take care of it. blah blah blah.
  4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

It's not me or you, IT'S THE REST OF THE WORLD. Thats how I see it.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Like I've always said bob, this job would be great if I didn't gave to deal with customers. Period
  6. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone has a problem, I always stand there like I am perplexed at the situation they are describing, wait 'til they get all the bitching and moaning out, apologize, and say I will fix it. If I don't talk, this usually doesn't take long, the customer usually thinks I am really concerned by acting pensive, and the customer usually ends up thinking I am a good young guy just trying to run his business the best he can.

If this doesn't rememdy the situation, I pretend they don't exist.

About that story: I have noticed that there are people who argue and nit pick not because of how you are doing the job but merely to squeeze the most out of you and discipline you. I have had people complain about the dumbest things when I first acquire them, then they leave me alone for like a year.
  7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe Mr. Smith doesn't really like this guy

Know what ya mean though I think Jim Morrison and the Doors said it best "People are Strange"