Can't find a skid steer. . .Louisiana

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Pecker, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi all. I was hoping someone could offer some advice. Looking for a small skid steer loader like a Bobcat 463 or maybe an older Case 1816. In my area, north Louisiana, I have not been able to find anything, even at a high price. Its like there are no used skid steers to be sold in existence. Even eBay can't help - all the ssl's I've been interested in for at least 6 months are way up north and besides costing $500 up to ship, I'd be buying blind, and that's not my style. There are plenty of big ones around, but I need something small, even a stand-on would do, although I'd rather sit in one.

I've tried eBay and IronPlanet (which seems hard to use because it won't tell me the city the equipment is located in). I've also posted here on LawnSite several times, but the only responses are from like California, etc. - way too far to drive. The local papers don't have anything. NONE of my local dealers keep used skid steers around because I guess the demand is there. The closest I've come was a 453 1999 with 950 hours at a local rental center. They wanted top dollar at $5500 and high retail was like $5200 and they wouldn't budge at all. In hindsight, I'm glad they wouldn't come down on the price because it was really a rough unit that needed a few things (like the bucket was welded to the unit - I guess to prevent theft; it was missing lugs off a wheel; and it creeped when yokes were int he neutral position; and that was just the things I saw and I'm not much of a mechanic at all - so I lucked up by them playing hardball :cool2: . . .but that's beside the point.

Buying new is out of the budget - BTW if I can find one I would need to keep it less than 5k anyhow, but like I stated, even expensive ones aren't around.

Anyone have any other idears?

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason you can't find one is you are asking for something that does not exist. It's the game of if you want to play, you have to pay. Anything under 6K for a 463, and it is going to have the snot beat out of it. Rental units are not ever the best ones to buy, because those who rent figure it ain't theirs, so who cares. The only good thing about rental fleets is as a rule they change oils on schedule, but when the machines sit on jobsites for a week at a time, do you think for a minute those who rent them break out a grease gun before they run them?

I went through a have to buy used phase early in my tenure as a contractor. Then I realized the value of down time, production time, and lost billable hours. You are money in the ban to buy new, and book enough work on a regular basis to keep the machine running daily. If you don't have enough work or that work is not there on a regular basis, you are best off renting, and calculating every dollar rent costs you, and all the time taken associated with the rental into your bid.

Don't waste your time and or money on a used machine that has the crap kicked out if it.

3. Pecker

Sounds plausible Uniscaper - its what I was afraid of - they don't exist. Well, it is sounding and seeming more like I won't have a choice but to buy a new 463 if I want a small skid - which wouldn't be so bad, just more of a risk - but I agree with you, downtime sucks. Thanks for the info.

4. evan price

evan price LawnSite Member

That's what NationsRent is for!
    I bought my Gehl skidsteer and 60" bucket used for $4000 and only use it around my lot for loading bulk mulch and rarely throw it on the trailer for a big office complex or shopping center job. If I need one in the field it is better for me, liability wise, to rent from NationsRent because they take liability if a safety device or mechanical defect injures or god forbid kills someone while using it. There's enough people killed & injured by skidsteers and my old Gehl is a real POS that works, perfect for me cause I know its a stubborn old mule but not so someone else like an employee could use it without geting an OSHA citation..

5. Pecker

Price,

Are you saying it would be better for me to rent from Nations Rent for me to operate or for an employee to operate? I would be operating solo. Also, do other rental companies carry that as well? Because there is no Nations Rent near me. Thanks.