Can't find big engine on 36" deck???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clay, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

In the past I ran a Toro t-bar hydro with 20hp kohler and a 37" recycler deck.... Even with the xtra hp, I would still sometimes bog down while mulching.... While it did a good job, it took every big of the 20hp.... And I also liked it because the older style tractor would accept the different size decks....

Wet rye and bentgrass mix is murder to bag, discharge or mulch... I would like to have a smaller 36" deck with a larger engine (20hp+).... So it can mow properly and pull a proslide without having to go to a monster deck to get the additional hp.... Does anyone know of a manufacturer that builds one, or that would???

Thanks, Clay

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

20HP??

Man I have 20 horses on my walkers. Why the heck would you want that much on a 36"?? That is Tim Allen like. Way overkill. I have Scag 48" and they only have 17 HP on them, which is the bigger of the motors they offer.

It takes alot to bog down my walkers with that size motor. They are diesel, but still. :eek:

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that your recycler 37" deck was a HP hog.

Today you can get a 36" with a 15hp twin. Never heard anyone complain about the HP on 36" units though. Technically you would be able to put a 17hp on as they are physically the same size.

Remember 36" WB's used to be offered with 9hp engines not that long ago!

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I think you're looking for something other than a "lawnmower". NOT that you might need the HP, but it's just not Lawnmower anymore. The "SIMPLE" solution is to buy a new machine with a 17kaw on a 36" deck , trade the motor back to the dealer and install a 25 Kaw on it. That's what I did...................

5. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Go buy you a 36" wb and somehow retro fit you a 31hp dahiastu turbo charged diesel on it and that should be plenty of power.:D

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I only have 15hp on mine. Tim Allen would be dissapointed

7. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys... I guess noone is manufacturing such a beast in a 36"???

I would really require more torque... so that 20hp diesel would perform well I bet... When I asked to put a larger engine on a smaller deck, the factory guys (at Toro) said that the machine was not engineered for that much power so they couldn't do it and would not suggest it...

The closest I have found to what I really want (36" 20+ hp, no pistol grips, hydro, floater) is a 48" Hustler Super Walk Behind with a 23 Kawi for $5,900....

Switchless, the Hustler 54" deck has better blade tip speed... while I don't even want as wide as 48", would the 54" be a better setup??? I still don't understand the lower tip speed on the Hustlers with all that power, but I guess that would give it even more torque....

Also found a Huskie w/b, 48", floater, hydro with loop handles and 18hp kawi for $4,777.... Any had experience with Huskie w/b???

Thanks, Clay

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Clay, you really should be able to find the Hustler 48 for less than $5,900. For what it's worth, the 54 with the higher tip speed really throws the grass better. As far as mulching, once you start chopping things up without letting it discharge, you need a ton of horspower. Frankly, I can't believe you don't have enough power with 20 on the 36. If I was to guess, unless you went really up in HP, you won't be happy. However, I'm sure you will run into clutch/belt problems trying to use that much power with "all the drag of mulching.

9. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Switchless, I don't have a 20hp on a 36", but if I could find one I would buy it... (owned a 20hp kohler on a 37 recycler deck but sold it with my business in Vegas)...

Have you been quoted any prices on the Super Walk Behinds??? They are my mower of choice right now, but the nearest dealer is hundreds of miles away and the $5,900 for the 48" hasn't really motivated me for the trip :).... Plus, it has been years since I've tried the Hustler controls and then it was on a Shortcut... I'm confident I will like it, but for 6 grand, I would at least like to drive one for a bit...

Thanks for you input... Clay

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to a snapper dealer. they usually can get in the power units separate from the decks. And I think they all bolt up the same. You might be able to get there 23 hp tractor and a 36" deck or at least the 17 hp . I had a distributer say he could put together a 23hp with a 48" deck. The prob. is I think they aren't making many more of the 23hp power units for some reason so I IF your dealer dan find one He might be able to put it together for you.

Ask at the ustler forum Maybe they willput togehter a 37" super WB for you.