can't find leyand cypress and a question on web site for plant pics and info

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, May 5, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Need 10, at least 6 ft leylands for client...called 5 cuppliers yesterday...4 were sold out...1 had scrawny 4 ftrs. These are great plants and alot of homeowners apparently are discovering they make a nice privacy screen, grow quick, look nice and are pretty hardy (except for wet soil)...any of you having problems getting these?? any suggestions?

Also, I have a couple of the Taylors guide books on trees & perennials...great books but often what I'm looking for is not listed...any websites that offer pics and info on trees/shrubs that you have found helpful? thanks in advance

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

go to alta vista.com and type in the latin name or common name and hit picture and you should get hundreds of pics for the plants you're looking for.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

www.hort.uconn.edu

Im currently enrolled in a herbaceous ornamentals class and a woody perrenial class. This website has just about every plant you could want with pics and explanation of the plant.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Kitzy,

I live in South Jersey. There are many Nurseries around here who grow these shrubs. I just picked up 17 6'-7' cypress from Tuckahoe Nurseries. They had very large root balls, and these shrubs overfilled my f-350 dump.

Bob