Can't find Ryobi 875r model number!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kdamisch, Jul 23, 2008.

1. kdamisch

kdamisch LawnSite Member

I have a Ryobi 875r gas trimmer. The drive cable in the upper shaft assembly broke. After doing some research, I guess this model is known for doing that. I am trying to find the replacement part number for that cable, and from what I read online, I have to order the entire upper drive shaft assembly. This is not the lower drive cable in the attachment, this is the one that connects to the engine in the upper shaft assembly. I am not the original owner of this trimmer, so I don't know where it was bought. I have looked online at the MTD, Techtronics, and a few other websites. But, none of them match up with the model numbers on this trimmer.

The only numbers to be found are these:
    PPN - 501419
    Serial - 008152270
    26.2 cc displacement
    Engine Family - XN4XS.0264A2;EM

It does have the (800) 345-8746 number to call, but they were no help and said I need to find a number that starts with a 41, such as 41AD something, 41CD something, etc.. I went to our local Ryobi service center, and they said the same thing.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Looks to me that's your only option is to buy the whole assembly. I used to use Ryobi trimmers for years, same model, and replaced a LOT of parts over the years. If I recall I think I even had to replace the upper shaft once, but I don't recall why exactly. I put a LOT of hours on 4 or 5 different Ryobi trimmers and had pretty good luck with them. I actually still have a couple, and just this last spring trashed a couple that had intact upper drive shafts. (was never going to use them and the heads were trashed)

Not sure what else you are having troubles with, I've used But I'm sure you were there... Yes they will break a boot off in you on their prices, but they do sell the oddball stuff.

Just looked and the upper shaft housing w/shaft is $54.12 w/shipping. ouch. My suggestion, pitch the trimmer and buy a new one.