Can't find the pic of the New J.D 7 Iron 11 Deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't find that pic of the new deere 7 iron 2 deck, do any of you guys know where it went?

I test tried a 997 side discharge today, nice cut, lacked power, have to check revs, it is an '05 model, has the old deck on, wandering if the new 7 iron 2 is out yet, even though on deer's website they say so....

I thinking of asking dealer if he can find me a new 7 iron 2 deck model, might be pushing my luck!

Like I said though, the 7 iron cuts awesome, I see why you guys love em!

2. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the verdict tony, you going to demo for more than a day?

3. Tonyr

yeh, gunna do a park tomorrow.....weather permitting, it's hard to honestly test the heating issue with the current cool wet weather, but so far the side discharge is going ok, excellent on stalky grasses. Struggles in heavy grass, I think the engine is running on low revs, feels like my rear discharge is twice the hp. my toro had more grunt, so I'll need to get that checked as this will effect blade speed, clipping despersal and whether side thrown clippings end up on the rear screen.

todays test shows 30% screen coverage, but admitingly there was a breeze blowing clippings over mower somewhat, other test areas showed 0% screen clogging, I think side discharge is definetly better rear screen wise, know for certain tomorrow...but I have to admit, now I have the rear discharge deck running nice, it is neater than side discharge, bummer....

I just wish deere would fix the rear discharge model's rear screen issue as I think this mower is superior for general work than side discharge, lots safer too!

I will say one thing....7 iron....certainly throws a long way!

lots of clumps though....but I think that maybe due to low engine revs....

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Well could be low revs, low power on that engine period (get a compression test) dull blades, or just poor JD quality period.

good luck Tony.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking about you yesterday. Had to mow a 4 acre ditch that has been wet for 3 months. My gravely and the meg-mo's did a great job. Well except for dropping the drive belt and getting stuck in a muddy area.

Drive pully got bounced when I hit a piece of wood with the castor and levered it up. Getting stuck was purely driver error.

I should have taken before and after pics. It was a beast, thankfully since it is winter here, it was really tall, but really thin in most areas.

6. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Hey Tony,

What if the side discharge model doesn't do it for you, what is the dealer willing to do then? Are you just stuck with the rear discharge one then?

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Tony,

As far as 'looks' it pretty much looks the same aside from the sticker and the extra outside anti-scalp wheel supports. But here is the picture I posted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tonyr

Thanks guys!

I was trying to find that pic to see what they did different to the front baffle, may of been able to show dealer and get one on for the test, only natural to want the latest product....

I have doubts if we would even have any over here though...

Joel, good question! I'f SD doesn't do it, yes, I'm stuck with my problematic RD mower. At this stage I very much prefer the RD deck.

Precision....that's what my rough areas mowing is like, tall stalky, but very thin stuff, easy to cut, but most decks struggle to cut clean the stalks....but the 7 iron is good.

Envy....going by yesterday's test it isn't looking good, chute down it bogs the deck, chute up and ya covered in clippings, dunno how anyone can mow yards with these, they throw clumps etc 3 runs min away!

while my toro threw clippings far, they were spread evenly and neat, the despersal on the test 7 iron is ugly, certainly not ecceptable in public areas, never seen a deck throw clumps like this......I'm hoping is it just low engine revs, I'm hoping the dealer can get a mobile mechanic to check this asap.

if this is as good as it gets.....I'll probably go back to my busted butt, constantly breaking down, stress inducing mower. least I don't have to worry about spraying clippings over trees, cars etc. and won't have clumps everywhere....

anyway, I won't bag the 7 iron until I get the revs checked, so far I can only say how it went on MY test.

did that pic of the underside of the 7 iron 11 get removed??

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tony,

Maybe you have read my comments before, but to be honest, that sounds just like the same kind of performance I saw from the 7 Iron deck. I was able to demo 3 separate times, 2 different mowers. Tried the M665 60" once and the 757 60" twice. Long clippings, hayfield look, uneven discharge windrows, clumps, ect. UGLY!

However, on here we do see where guys are getting a nice cut out of them.
    I chalked it up to regional conditions.
    But I hope in your case it is the engine revs/rpms.

As for the pic of the underside of the 7 Iron II... never seen that one, but I have seen the underside of the old one. Anyways, one other thing that might help you is that the new deck also has increased blade tip speed.

10. Tonyr

yeah, pity about that....I am getting an 05 model, old deck.

On light bermuda it did a better job, but soooo under powered!

did a section of my big park today, this section usually clogs the screen on my RD mower, but didn't on the SD, it did suck clippings onto the rear screen, but only the extreme back, not back sides....whether it is due to the dampish grass, or whether this is as bad as it gets, or whether is will totally clog I dunno.....yet dealer wants a decision......crikey, what do ya do!

Obviously chute down helps, but this mower just struggles with it down!

Remember I told ya in another thread about a vibration in the machine coming up to 200 hours?

Did 4 hours of easy park work on new sd mower, if I mow a slope and the left is lower, it vibrates bad. I took it to dealer, just sitting there idling it was vibrating.

I says, we got 2 mowers, both young, both vibrate, they admit to feeling it....but don't know what to do.

Today I was mowing easy as bermuda, this machine is under full load cutting 1'' of bermuda leaf! mechanics reckon I expect too much, I said my toro would kick this things butt! It ain't getting the right power to the deck period, call me when you have it fixed and I'll demo again! Cutting off 1'' is not hard work for a 31 hp diesel, I don't care what anyone says!

I've had more than enough now, now I know it ain't just me, obviously there is a mechanical fault in a batch or something, I have seen it on 2 new mowers, so guys running these are either lucky or not worried about it, or not wanting to think their favourite colour mowers ain't as good as we wish.