Can't get blade off!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by S man, Oct 15, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have had problems getting my blades off recently. On my toro which way does the blade come off? Left or right. It seems like its the left but is not coming off. Please someone give me some insight on this.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It needs to be turned counterclockwise to remove. Go to your local auto parts store and get some anti-seize compound to put on the threads for the next removal.

3. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

yeah spray some wd40 on it, block the blade with a piece of wood and get a big breaker bar, and you should have no problem..... chances are that you probly hit hit something, and that causes the blade to lock on even tighter....

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I did just you said and it came off easily. The dealer sharpened the blade last while it was there so maybe they overtightened it.

5. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

ha probly so some pimple faced kid on the pneumatic tools at the dealer not knowin what he's doing.... anyways best of luck to ya any other questions feel free to hollar

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

When mower blades spin it gets em super tight and hard to get off,one reason i sharpen my blades on a day to day.

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Can you guys find __ANY__ exception to this rule:
    Always remove/loosen bolt by turning in same direction that blade leading edge travels.
    This of course makes the assumption that the blades are not on upside-down, or on the wrong spindles in the event of counter rotating blades.
    No matter how tight they get, the thread pitch does not change direction.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Jim
    Except Walker bagger decks?

9. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know.
    But if this is true, and if the bolts do not have locks on the heads, then it begs to ask the question; who's engineering marvel was that?

10. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

"No matter how tight they get, the thread pitch does not change direction."

"But if this is true, and if the bolts do not have locks on the heads, then it begs to ask the question; who's engineering marvel was that?"

What are you getting at, exactly, Jim?