Cant get blades off.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

OK. I have a 48" Exmark metro and I want to put mulching blades on there. But I cant for the life of me get those damn things off of there. I just bought a 24" breaker bar and they still won't budge. Any suggestions.

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Spray some penetrating oil on the bolts, maybe a little heat (don't fry your spindles). How long have they been on there that you can't get them off??!!

3. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Put an adjustable on the top and put some A$$ into the bottom. Then coat the bolt with never seize. :waving:

4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Hheheheheheh......found out that those babies are torked on there huh.....I too played the Exmark tug of war when my mower was new and found the best way to get them off the first time was with an impact gun. The dealer told me this after I had got them off......LOL

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If all else fails...Impact wrench! When i bought my Crapsman a few years ago i could not get the damn blades off either. I put a swivel head ratchet with a 3' pipe on the handle and was moving the mower with my dad (200lbs) sitting on it. Took it to a tire shop and took them 2 secs!

6. BobwithECLC

BobwithECLC LawnSite Member

Save your nuckels and the frustration use an impact gun at a lower power setting

7. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

you have to be careful with a air gun try a rachit with a breaker bar

8. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Definitely some type of impact, electric or cordless. Pawn shops are full of them.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I agree with the other fellas, use penatrateing oil. You can try some heat, it can really help. I used it on a Sterling drain plug the other day, and it made life much easier.

If all else fails, and I have been unsuccessful with an impact, get a blade buddy, or something that will keep the blade from turning under the deck. Then take your breaker bar and put it on top. Slide a big pipe over your breaker bar, and bull into it. I have had to do this a few times, and it is always successful. It may even tell you how strong that breaker bar is. I usually put some grease on my spindle bolts to keep this from happening in the future.

Good luck
    Jay

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to change a tire on the side of the road in my mom's Land Rover a year ago or so and i bent a lug wrench. Didn't really know you could do that. It wasn't one of those junky swivel ones either. Never did get the nuts off and had it towed to the dealer and they had trouble getting them off with an impact.