Can't get BOBCAT W/B blade off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lynden-Jeff, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I don't know what im missing. My friend got the riders blades off easy with just an impact wrench. He left me to do the walk behind and I can't get them off for the life of me. The impact won't get them off and I have a 5 foot breaker bar and it spins it but its not loosening. We have blocked the blades but I don't know it just wont loosen off. Are they reverse threaded? We didn't think so but we don't know. Any insight appreciate.

Cheers
    Jeff

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Just try a little oil and two wrenches with a cheater sometimes they are tough.

3. Lynden-Jeff

What do you mean 2 wrenchs? One above the blade on the thing that looks like a giant bolt? Even my largest adjustable won't fit on there. Also they arn't reverse threaded are they? Im under the understanding that they arnt.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. TURF DOCTOR

You will have to put a wrench on the top or bottom and turn the blades where the wrench catches in the deck and holds till you can turn it with leverage make sure you are turning the bolt the right way.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Im an idiot. I didn't relize once you take the deck cover off there is a bolt and a washer that comes up through the pulls and holds the blade in place. My friend didn't have to do that on the rider so I was thinking it didn't have to do that on the walk behind now. All done anyways. However we changed the deck heigh and had to put the machine on its side. How bad is this for the engine? I know its not good but is it VERY bad? I let it sit for a good half an hour to let any flooding drain out and it puffed a bit of smoke but it seems to be fine. I will probably not need to do it again but if I do how bad is it?

Cheers
    Jeff

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this is the same unit with the 13 Kawi. tip it with the carb. facing up with the fuel turned off, Shouldn't hurt a thing.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Theres a nut on the top and the bolt end on the blade side. I beleive they are either 15/16" or 1". A few wrenches and you should be all set. If you can't get them off, take the machine to the dealer you bought it from. They should be willing to help!

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea your right j&r but you need both sizes the one above the blade is 1" and the bolt is 15/16 but you will still need a cheater bar to get it off the first time try using a piece of fence post if you got it that what I use the only thing with a big enough hole to slip over the wrench. Lokks like you need a trip to sears hardware or true value they should be about 13.00 each.

9. Lynden-Jeff

We didn't even need the cheater bar. The second we got the impact on the top nut it came off like a peice of cake. I need to get a torque rod for the impact gun and ill be set.

Cheers
    Jeff

10. TURF DOCTOR

Whatz a torque rod, do you mean a impact extension.