can't get it started

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

can't get my stihl stick edger started. any secrets? also, the person i bought it from painted over the on/off switch so i can't tell which is on and which is off. haven't used it since october so i can't remember. lil help please
  2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

What is it doing ? or not doing ? Does it act like it wants to start ? Which model is it ?
  3. Expert Lawns

it's not turning over at all. just dead pulling. i bought it used. i'm not sure what model it is. the owne painted it before i bought it and painted over everything. it's a curved shaft and can't be over 3 years old.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

often 2 cycle equipment will flood and wet the spark plug quickly if it's not started right or fails to crank quickly. Dry or replace it and try it then. That's been my most common "no start" problem.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Pull the plug wire, put it on another plug,ground the plug, pull starter rope with switch in both positions, this will tell you if you have spark and in which position. When you get spark pull the plug[from engine] and see if it is wet[gas fouled] and check that you have a gap [no carbon between eletrode]. If it is wet clean it with carb cleaner and dry with compressed air and check it for firing by above method. So if you have spark, and I assume you have compression as it was running when you put it up[right?] then pull the air filter and dump a small amount of mixed fuel in carb and this should get you going.
  6. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

The off-on switch...if pushed all the way towards the blade, then it is off...pushed towards the engine, it's turned on...
  7. Expert Lawns

I should know that by now but wanted to make sure. thanks
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Adjust your magneto. It might have gotten loose and created too large a gap. Mine did the same thing and i adjusted that and it fired up first pull.