cant get Super surfer to to disperse proberly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Jul 18, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

our Super surfer discharges grass in more of a windrow rather that throwing it out there more evenly. We've tried high lifts lower lifts, tightening belt tension, put the chute back on, change pitch and nothing. It looks like rows of hay. Its seems as the grass gets sucked back in or it blows it out and down instead of straight out. It also sometimes has trouble cutting the grass that the front wheels push down especially in thicker taller grass/
    I think the deck on this 02 model is a lemon. all of our other mowers will evenly disperse grass no matter how thick
    HUMM ????????????;)

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

My Surfer suffered from this problem the other day while I was cutting down @ 20" of growth.. It was then that I realised that the belt was slipping.. I also realised that the way the factory has designed the belt tensioner is lame to say the least.. I'm planning on modifying mine as soon as I have the time.. For now though, I put a spacer behind the tensioner nut that's about 2" long.. I read that you tightened the belt tension, but how much? I don't think you can get the belt tight enough the way the factory " rigged" the tensioner. Also check that your pulley's aren't worn out... Another poster here said he could barely get 50 hrs out of his pulley's. At first I couldn't understand why (my machine has 20 hrs on it now), But once I noticed the problem, I could easily see why he may be having that problem. When I was cutting the afforementioned growth, the belt got MEGA hot. I'd also check your rpm's I have mine set at 3900 blades on, and I have zero problems like you describe.. I'll try to post pix of my tensioner mods as soon as I get it dialed in.. I hope that helps you..:)

3. MiracleMan

MiracleMan LawnSite Member

I had that problem on my first Surfer. When the pully went out I decided to go with a Land Pride Pully that's actually for pull behind PTO mowers. It is a little bigger but MUCH MUCH stronger.
    NOW, that I have my new one, (only 4 hrs.) I'm having problems with it smoking and backfiring when I shut down. If it's not one thing in this business, it's another .,,,
    King? You think I should let ole Ray at Cypress warranty this smoke and pop thing? or try to rememdy myself. I sure don't want to null my warranty. It's only a week old.
    Anyway, you guys keep a cuttin'

4. txlawnking

Miricale, you went and bought the other one he still had? Did he give you the deal I got?? Pm me I'd like to chat If you don't mind..

5. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

acually we did replace the idler pulley last yr the dealer didnt have one in stock so he gave us a pully off a Hustler that happened to fit its much bigger. We do have the OEM pulley we havent put it on.
    Perhaps we need to put in on. I can see if I can tighten the belt a little more too

6. txlawnking

Chopper, the problem could be solved in a number of ways.. 1 like you said, a bigger idler pulley. 2 A shorter tensioner spring 3 (The method I will probably try) drilling a hole thru where the tens bolt mounts with a hole saw, and welding a new mount for the tensioner bolt further out. It deffinately needs more tension than you can get out of the "as delivered" set up..I will post pix of my completed mods when I'm done. This is one of the few problem's I've found on mine so far..That and to change the engine oil is a major PITB