can't get the blades off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yazoo50, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

When you put it back together put anti-sieze compound on the threads and between the blade and bolt head. You'll never have the problem again.

Only use a light coating however, it doesn't take much.

2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

After you get the old blades off, the only time you'll experience this again, is when you hit your blade(s) on an obstruction!

The bolt(s) will then become very difficult to remove without air or cheater bar!

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

this................

4. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i just took it to the dealer, it was only like 27 bucks to get them sharpened, but i eventually got tired of doing that so i went to Harbor Frieght and spent about $200 on a compressor and an impact wrench. It is soooooooooo nice being able to take all 3 blades off in under a minute.

5. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you don't have an impact, then here's what I would do.

First, use a metal post to put around your ratchet (as someone said earlier). If that doesn't work, then heat it up with a cutting/welding torch or a propane if thats all you've got, and try. If THAT doesn't work, then borrow an 1/2" impact, or a 3/4" if you've got a REALLY good friend :laugh:, heat it up, and try. If that doesn't work :dizzy: :hammerhead: :cry:, then whatever the dealer charges you to sharpen the blades will be worth it :laugh:. Good Luck

6. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

Mine got stuck once. I heated them with a barbecue lighter. Like said before, I put anti seize on any bolts I take off now. I also use it on some the other mower parts where there is friction, like on my brake mechanism.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Get an impact wrench.

If that does not work...go to a shop man.

Probably one of the easiest problems to deal with on mowers.

8. scooterdayton

scooterdayton LawnSite Member
    from MN

just putt them back on with a torque wrench! and anti sieze

9. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

My blades tighten a lot when I want to sharpen them, crazy amounts. I don't know if it does it from the spinning, or if it's the shop when they do it. One time I opted to do it later as it wasn't dull and it was super tight when the shop hadn't touched it.

10. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

That is because you hit something that jammed the blade(s) (object tryed to stop the blade) and the nut got tighter.