Can't I just get a Toro?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jasonj24680, Jan 6, 2007.

1. jasonj24680

jasonj24680 LawnSite Member

I have been looking into getting into the lawn business for quite some time now. I didn't realize the start up cost was so high. Is it necessary to purchase those expensive commercial mowers? Can't I just go down to the Home Depot and buy me a Honda or a Toro?

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Sure, but then again you could also buy a used Yugo for a truck. Home Depot sells crap when it comes to lawn and garden. If you are getting a 21" get the Toro Proline, it will pay for itself again and again. I speak from experience, I've bought the cheap Personal Pace and Honda Harmony mowers from HD, they last about 2 months, compared to a proline which lasts about 7 years, and is way nicer to use.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Kind of a running joke here in TEXAS. Every year some guy in a truck goes to the big box store buys home owner Eq. By the time August Hits, he is dead from the heat and all the equipment is broke.
    :dancing:

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

The bigger joke here is...I'm not dead and my equipment is ready for another year...

5. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I recommend to get you started with the least expense.

First target town houses at first and build a customer base. You can use a pickup truck and smaller equipment at first.

You could buy a push mower or 2 from the box stores. If you buy the better Hondas, they sell HRB 217, they will cost you about $650 each. Then go to a real commercial dealer and buy a straight shaft trimmer (I would recommend the lightest commercial unit they sell) and a name brand hand held blower to start off with. These 2 items should cost you about $400 total.

Put them in the truck and go get a bunch of town houses for a start. Once you make some money and decide if its for you then upgrade to a 32" walkbehind. You can make good money with this approach and get your initial investment back quickly.

Please be aware that the equipment mentioned will probably last only a year or 2 if you use it much. So start out knowing you will have to upgrade if things go well. I also recommend having 2 of everything mentioned above but you could get one to start and add more as need and cash allow. Also Pay cash as much as you can. Once you start making a profit and build clientel then you will know whaty to buy next. Also you can always come here and ask.

6. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

You will have to ask Katie A C... sorry its a dumb Lawnsite joke. The decent stuff that lasts that can be purchased from Home Cheapo are some of the Hond 21" mowers other than that i would recommend that you look for a used commercial grade Toro walkbehind midsize mower. Used comm. equipment will often out perform new homeowner tools.

7. jasonj24680

jasonj24680 LawnSite Member

I wanted to go to the Depot and purchase a Echo backpack blower, a mclain edger, and the 21" Toro. That will run me about $1100 right off the bat. I don't see the need for a trimmer. Sound okay?

8. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

LOL.... I agree with you, So many respond with "you have to get commercial grade " and thats bs, I took that advice once and ended up spending a lot of money foe some real crap equipment. My 21" crafstman mower that I bought for around $200 is still going strong and the piece of crap commercial grade snapper is sitting in the back of my garage

9. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason, I would get the trimmer and skip the edger!
    As well, I want to echo what others have said and experience proves over and over, Pro Equipment is always worth the investment, even used pro equipment out performs and out lasts homeowner grade equipment.

When I do buy homeowner grade equipment for my home use I go to sears because they do stand behind their products and often for the same price or a little more than home depot.

10. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

You dont need a back pack blower. You dont need an edger to start (May come in usefull but you DONT need it). and you NEED a trimer. Get a shoval or a puch edger and live with it for a few months. Just touch up the edges with the trimmer. You can probly get by with spending well under 1000
    mower-400
    handheld blower-150
    trimmer-200
    thats brings it up to 750.
    Thats all you need to start.