cant keep grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by buzzz427, Apr 17, 2008.

1. buzzz427

buzzz427 LawnSite Member

I have a yard that is primarilly in shade I seeded it last spring and it came up beautiful and full till the leaves came out on the trees and it all just shriveled up and disappeared. I live in northeastern Maine any suggestions on a type of seed I can use

2. karrotjuice

karrotjuice LawnSite Member

Suggestion #1: Fix the problem.... reduce the shade.... cut down some trees or thin out limbs.

It's the only thing that will solve your problem. I've been there done that many times.

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

More info.... just how much sun does it get? Is this area under maples? What kinds of trees are creating the shade? How close are they to the planting area? What fert program did you use? What seed did you try? What was your irrigation schedule? What is the soil pH? Did you aerate before seeding? Ask a complete question, get a complete answer. Sorry if that sounds rude, but put more effort into your question, and it would be easier to answer... right now, with given info, it would be a guess.

4. mrmumbels

mrmumbels LawnSite Member

i know, move out of Maine! :) joking, where in Maine are you? I used to live in Fort Kent.

5. buzzz427

buzzz427 LawnSite Member

I live in close to calais. 100miles east of Bangor, I limbed a couple of trees to let in some sunshine still looking for a shade tolerant seed I used a ryegrass mix from blueseal last year but no luck

6. Steve Swail

Steve Swail LawnSite Member

Buzz, I've heard some of the newer fescue blends with the creeping red in them are pretty good in heavily shaded areas. I've used Leabanon Seed products & think they are excellent. Might be worth a try to shoot them an e-mail & see if they've got a blend that can survive under your trees (www.lebsea.com). Good luck.

7. Steve Swail

Buzz, I've heard some of the newer fescue blends with the creeping red in them are pretty good in heavily shaded areas. I've used Leabanon Seed products & think they are excellent. Might be worth a try to shoot them an e-mail & see if they've got a blend that can survive under your trees (www.lebsea.com). Good luck.

8. Steve Swail