1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can't Make Up My Mind!........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grzube, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

Hey there guys, I'm still looking for the right ztr, so I've narrowed it down to:
    1-Toro Z340-19 hp Kaw kai, 40" deck- 8 mph
    2-Gravely 44Z-19 hp Kaw kai,44" deck- 8 mph
    3-Exmark Lazer Z ct-1 18 hp Vanguard v-twin, 48" deck-7.2 mph
    Most of our lawns are from 12-35,000 sq/ft, Help me out here boys!!
  2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

The toro. I have a 52" deck w/23hp and I need more hp sometimes. The others the engines are too small for me. JMHO
  3. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Do yourself a favor. Get a TORO 23hp/48" Z-Master. (Z-453)
  4. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

For the price of a Z-master 48"{453} I can buy a Scag Tiger Cub for $8350 cdn, I'm trying to stay in the 6-7k range.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

some of those lawns are decent sized. I'd stretch the budget now and recoup it over time with better durability, power, resale value, and performance. I have a Gravely and an Exmark ZTR, and after some comparisons this year, I can now say the Exmark is the better mower in various ways, though the Gravely is adequate. One thing I hate is a mower that won't "do it all", and the Exmark mulches great and discharges great. They also have a wide assortment of OCDC's that new ones like the Toro or Gravely may not. The OCDC on my Gravely is an inferior design to several of the ones made for Exmarks.

What about a used prev generation Exmark Lazer hp 48 or 52"?
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We just paid 6997.00 for our Gravely 152M with a 23hp kawi. But if I had to choose between any of the ones you listed....Gravely, then Toro. IMO that hp is gonna be weak and you'll be kicking yourself in a month. Those engines do ok for a w/b but with running a heavier machine, hydro's, wheel motors your probably ending up with a 14-15hp engine to cut grass with. JMO.
  7. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

I'm going to try out an Exmark Lazer Z ct today..............
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have herd a ton of bad things about the Vanguard......

dont have any experance with them .....

just wanted to share
  9. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

Well guys, I bought the Gravely for $6800,00 cnd,+ grass pump=$1000, mulch kit-$145, striping kit-$100, thanks for the tips!