1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cant Please EVERYONE

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Dec 19, 2005.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

You guys ever have those customers that ya just cant please.
  2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Over the years we've had maybe five total so we've been lucky. They'll always be the customers that no matter how much you do they'll always want more. And for the same or less money:rolleyes: The thing I love is that when they try someone else they usually want us back.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. I just had to post this,

This lady wanted me to replace her tree, about 7"tall with another one so she went shopping and found one called me and I went and picked it up.

Well I had to remove the old dead tree, then dig another hole, "she wanted the tree in a new location" about 3 ' . then I cut her lawn and charged her 150.00. She called me the next morning saying "SCREAMING" that's too much.

I didn't have her under contract, but total I spent 8 hrs with this tree and cutting her lawn and listening to her BS....

I showed her all my expenses and I made 100.00 for the total time..

I Finley ask her How much do you think it would cost. she didn't answer. so I refunded her 50.00 and wished her a happy life.....

She called a couple of days later wanting me to recommend someone...

HELL GUYS, I dont have anyone that I hate that badly.........
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

If youre going to ditch her as a customer anyway, why give back any money? $100 for a days work is no sweet gig in my book, much less $50. If she doesn't like it, she can pay the next guy more to do it and be even more unhappy. Stick to your guns, don't back down to a whiner.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I gave her the money back because I really dont want anyone talking badly about me,

My thinking is that if you do a good job for someone they will tell maybe 1 person if You do a bad job they will tell 10 to 15.

maybe this way I can get out from under her...LOL, and that will be that end of story. but I belive if I didn't return some of her money it would be the never ending story...

and I dont need the agravation......

Just my way of thinking anyway, may not add up to a hill of beans
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one earlier this summer. No matter what she was never happy. Always found something to complain about. She finally cancelled when I refused to give her a free leaf clean-up.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You removed a 7" tall tree,picked up and planted what a 5' tree? and you charged her 100.00? and 50 was for the mow or what?
    Even if it was a 7'tree you dug up and then planted it should have never taken 8 hours to do that work
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Actually no,I have never had a client I could not make happy
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, I've had a few of those...

Then, I made some rules:
    1) I don't haul / pick things up for customers. Only thing goes on my trailer / truck is equipment and if there is debris from cleanup / work performed. This one falls under the same category as 'Never use customer-provided equipment or materials.'
    2) When they are shocked / whine /etc, I stick to my guns and collect my money.
    3) If they are going to complain, that is fine by me they can do that after I get paid.
    4) If they don't like it, they can go do it to someone else for I am through with this kind of bs.

But, yes I gave some lady some money back once before for the same reason, you don't need the hassle and good riddance...
    It's all good, it gets better with time.
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Sheshovel, you are just such a sweet thang! And yes I have had several I could not please, constant complainer. Dump em, they are not worth the ulcers.