cant price this driveway right

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by environment, Aug 26, 2004.

1. environment

environment LawnSite Member

the driveway I am pricing is 16 ft wide by 72 ft in length, now with a border I have been coming up with $16000 approximately...

Am I to high on this, what would you guys charge, I dont want to lose this job but I dont want to lose money for doing the job at a cheap price either

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

What is the driveway made of?

3. environment

Pavers, sorry, thought for some reason that cause I knew you guys would, apologies all around

but, ya pavers, herringbone pattern, umm slight upward slope to the driveway, starts out flat, goes uphill, and flattens again, needs lots of drainage at the bottom

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Based SOLELY on square footage, I would say your price of $16k is somewhere in the ballpark. With a big area, you can put down a lot of pavers quickly, but herringbone pattern can be a little more time consuming. Also, even if you have straight lines, you're gonna have 144' of cuts, plus at least one end of the 16', right?

Make sure to figure extra for materials and labor on drainage.

5. environment

im just curious because she got two estimates supposedly for the driveway, 3 steps by the front door, a small walk and a hell of a lot of stone, and all that came to $10,000

6. GreenMonster

from NH

Well, that's less than $9/sf just for the driveway. Without the benefit of seeing the job site, I'm nearly positive I wouldn't do it for that price.

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

My number is higher than $16,000. Whoever is doing it for ten G is a moron and it will most likely look like ten G worth when it's done. Can't get all the jobs all the time.

8. GreenMonster

from NH

Well, ok. Forget the political correctness:D

Based on the sq. footage and description, I'd be higher too.

9. environment

how much higher, i didnt submit my bid yet

10. environment

I came up with $17,280.00 but since she is a family friend I was going to do it for $16,704