Can't remove airfilter cover...please advise

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Esby, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I went to check the air filter on my 2001 Lazer Z HP 23hp Kaw as I have many times, but I couldn't get off one of the plastic turn nuts to remove the shield. It turns both ways, but won't unscrew. I think the metal nut inside the plastic shell has loosened itself from the plastic. I am just wondering what you recommend to get it off? I suppose I could cut threw the plastic and then loosen the metal nut. Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Can you pull the plastic from the metal nut without damaging the threads? I would try to gently do this.

You can also try to pull up on the plastic cover and turn at the same time. Sometimes this works.

If it still doesn't come off, I would go with your idea and try to cut it off. Just be careful that you don't cut yourself. I would make sure that you have a new, plastic turn nut before you remove the old one. Call your dealer and make sure that they have one.

Talk to you later,

Exmark Customer Service
  3. ACut AboveLandscapin

ACut AboveLandscapin LawnSite Member

I have the same mower and the same thing happened to me. I used super glue to fix it.
  4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for the part number for the plastic nut pictured above. I ended up taking the vise grips to it and destroyed the old one...needless to say I was able to get it off. I went to my dealer, "Paul's Small Engines", here in Alexandria and they couldn't find the part number for it on their computer. Thanks for your help.
  5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I talked to Kawi and the p/n you need is 92210-7008. You'll need contact your dealer to get the price as well as order the knob.

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

mine did that, had to pry it off and get new ones