1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can't remove spindle bolt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by watatrp, Sep 23, 2007.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a spindle bolt for my blade that I cannot remove. I suspect that the bolt may be bent. I've tried the impact wrench, heating it, and a cheater bar. I ended up breaking my breaker bar. Has anyone had any luck grinding off the top of the bolt and nut? I'm getting tired of sharpening one blade without being able to remove it. Any other suggestions???
  2. trdtundra00

trdtundra00 LawnSite Member

i had one seize up on my hustler and tried everything you have, i ended up having to cut the bolt head off and replacing it. just make sure you never-seize it good when you put the new bolt back in.
  3. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

If it has a nut on top (instead of a bolt that actually screws into the spindle), then it should be no problem. Grind of the head of the bolt, or the nut, whichever is easier.
  4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just guessing here but if its that tight the threads may already be damaged. If the bolt comes out it may not go back in. This could mean some downtime for you if you don't have spindle parts waiting.

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

mine always come free with some heat and an impact, my dealer says he commonly grinds the heads off, releasing the tention, and they vice-grip the rest free fairly easily. id try some more heat first
  6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

cheap way, if you have a hand grinder, cut the nut off with a cutting disc
    I have a 4 1/2 " DeWalt and I use .040 cutting discs when I can't get the bolts out.
    Expensive way, go out and get a good impact gun, the IR 2135 Ti is what I have and it has never met a nut that it could not undo :weightlifter: unless they were rounded over :nono:
    ericg likes this.
  7. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

I had the same happen on a super z. I was able to put a pipe wrench on the bottom of the spindle,above the blade... then i used a 3-4 foot pipe on my breaker bar to bust it loose.
  8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a good pipe wrench and a big pipe (I use an old cyclone fence post). This produces a tremendous amount of leverage and torque. You may also have to have another person use a 2x4 to apply upward pressure on the wrench to make sure it stays on the nut properly. Heat the nut beforehand - this almost always works for me.
  9. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've already tried the 4' cheater bar and broke my breaker bar using that. Luckily it's a Craftsman. I've been doing this for 23 years and this is the first time I've not been able to remove a blade bolt and nut. I'll just grind off the top and do it that way since the nut is on top.
  10. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

try a 4 to 1 multiplier wrench New Utica Tool 4to 1 Torque Multiplier Wrench TMX-2000F-- New 4 to 1 torque multiplier wrench manufactured by the Utica Tool Co.. It is a 3/4" drive input with 1" drive output. What this wrench adapter does is multiply the input torque by 4 times!! Overall length is 25" and the handle is removable via a spring loaded button. A must have tool for the heavy truck mechanic or machine repairman! Max. Torque output: 2000 lb. ft.---Max. Torque input: 550 lb. ft.--Ratio 4 to 1 (allow 10 to 20% loss in tool) Made in The U.S.A.-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------