Can't run doubles with TURBOFORCE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, May 16, 2004.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I tried to bolt a gator and highlift on my Z500. The way the mounting plate has some type of flange won't let me run 2 blades. Am I missing the obvious here?:confused:

2. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I don't have one but want one so I can't help you. Hopefully "Odin" will read this post and can help. Tonyr in Austrailia writes alot also maybe he'll know.

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area doubles aren't used, yet.

I heard John G say in a thread once about your exact problem that to get both on the mount saddle you need to grind some of the saddle edge off so it doesn't touch the bottom blade.

Another way I've heard of folks solve this is just by placing a washer of oppropriate thickess between the 2 blades...I would try this before grinding any of the saddle imo.

I personally would get a square washer, more stability, as wide as the blade in both directions.

Not much more you can do really.

So, what blade combo are you wanting to run?

How are you liking your Toro?

I've got the Z588E, going great!

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I'm not saying do this!!!!!!!!!! But when i got meg-mo for my gravely, the blade saddle had to get ground down so the blades disk would sit flat on the saddle.
    If you use a spacer then get a longer bolt. I'd like to hear from someone with doubles on that deck.
    John

5. Tonyr

Sorry John, my mistake, ooops :)

I was just going off my bad mucked memory, should of checked my facts first, sorry mate.

6. ive never run doubles on mine ..it does so well with singles ..:D

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What did you do???? You should always say DONT DO THIS when you tell someone to do it!
    Your mate
    John

8. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I put doubles on it Monday morning and have been running them since then. The cut is excellent and it throws the grass really well, but today I looked underneath the deck and all 3 sets of blades were almost touching each other. I put a used edger blade inbetween the 2 blades and the spindle and tightened them with and impact. Is there anyway to keep them from moving without grinding the lip off on the flange?

9. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sfs deck, but it has blades saddles just like the turboforce. I used washers as spacers on mine to get the bottom blade to fit on, but it scalped allot more even though I adjusted the height. I did not see a diference in cut and was scared about less of the bolt being screwed in due to the extra lenght of the blades . I took it off, but Im looking for some notched high lifts like my exmark has on it because I am really impressed with the cut of those blades.

10. Tonyr

I don't know the answer mate, I'm sorry...doubles is like talking latin to me, would make TURBO Force now become Super charged, turbo forced LOL!

Are you able to take a pic of the doubles installed, interested to see how you got around the blade saddle issue....

You would reckon in todays world someone would of mate a bracket that somehow fitted to the blade saddles that also acted like a brace to keep the blades in their exact + position.

You probably read I'm having great success with RAPTOR blades, may be worth trying too.

Why are you needing doubles on a Turbo Force deck?

Having a problem with lift, finish, discharge....?

I mow low over here, so wouldn't encounter a lot of the hasstles of cutting high thats why I'm interested...