Can't stack blades on ZTR mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 021462, Oct 7, 2002.

1. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

I know this has been talked about (stacking blades) but I can't get two sets of blades on a TORO 52" ZTR. There is a lip that the blades fit in and the bolt is not long enough to t or x them and they are too thick to stack in the grove. Anybody have this problem? :(

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

with toro mowers you have to use a 5/8 inch spacer between the two bades to get the botteom blade snug up against the craddle that hold the top blade.

3. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

You guys made me do it. I installed doubles on my 52" 255 Toro Z Master tonight. I put 2 washers (.15 at Home Chepo) between the bottom regular blade and the top mulching blade. Cant wait till tommorow to check out this fad that everyone is "raving" about! I will come back tommorow with the verdict!:D

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Once againn...............i went doubles. and will never go back! :blob3:

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Blessed 1,

The way you have them stacked is one of the most DANGEROUS things you can do! With the washer between them, there is much less frictional contact between the blades so slippage is much more likely. With any slippage, the potential for loosening blades is there. Unless the blades have a cradle, you should DEFINITELY not be using a washer between the two. This is just asking for trouble. Generally, they are just stacked on top of one another - with nothing between. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

6. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the Meg-Mo System blades? They look basically like a one piece unit that has four blades on it. They sound like they would work for 021462 (Prison Number?).

Has any one tried them? I would be love to know how they worked.

I saw Meg-Mo's web site in the blade section of TurfHQ. I found the link to TurfHQ on the banner near the top of the page. Let's support LawnSite by visiting the sponsors and checking out their products.
    Darb

7. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

The Toro has a blade cradle, to use doubles you have to use a washer for a spacer.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Gravelys have a cradle, too, and what I did was machine them in the centers so the the cross blade would fit over, directly against the top blade.

9. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not impressed at all with the doubles. So far the best cut I have gotten is with 1 set of sharp mulching baldes:mad:

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I had a Z master 62 inch 255. For some reason Doubles didnt do much for my toro either. Actually made the cut worse for some reason. On my Dixie chopper is makes all the diffrence in the world....go figure!