Can't stand anymore sales talk, what equipment should I get?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DGSKS, May 15, 2006.

1. DGSKS

DGSKS LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Please, I need some help and I just can't stand to hear the pitch again. I have 5 acres (just purchased). Need a mower of some sort. The house came with a lawn tractor (poulan) that is 2.5 years old and is just about worn out. So I started out looking:

ExMark
    Farris
    Gravely
    BadBoy
    Dixon
    Hustler

All "commercial", All 60" deck, all zero turn, all pricey (I didn't need them to tell me that)

Any clear do buys?
    Any clear don't buy?

I don't want anyone getting in hotwater - so if you want to respond privately, do so.

Please give me your 2 cents -

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely Hustler Exmark Ferris Dixon I have never heard of or seen bad boy mowers. All of the above are great machines each with pros and cons. They should be priced about the same. JMO

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never run a bad boy, but their web site didn't impress me. especially the ghetto-fabulous spoiler for the rear of the thing. all the rest seem to have good reputations, i am not totally sure about dixon though, having had no experience with them, just what i've read. always remember - dealer support is everything!!!!!!!!!

4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

There are some mower maufacturers in Kansas if you chose to keep your money within the state. Grasshopper is the first one that comes to mind.

You might do a search on ebay for "zero" or "commercial" mowers that are not that old and are nearby your zip code. You might get a slightly used commercial mower for the price of a new residential one.

There is nothing wrong with BadBoy. They are built very solid and should last a homeowner many many years. To each there own on airfoil wings.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget scag and bobcat. Both very good imo.

Jeff

6. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 LawnSite Member

Hustler Super Z If You Got 12 Grand

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Exmark, Gravely, Hustler in no specific order. Do you want a commercial grade machine or their homeowner models?

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you can't receive messages yet since you are so new to the site.

PM me with your email so I can send you some information about where to get Hustler ztr's a lot cheaper than Kansas City area and it is close to KC.

9. scagger

scagger LawnSite Member

Definitely look on ebay. I got a Scag turf tiger 27hp with a 52 inch cut, including the vac system with weight kit and striping kit and trailer for 6500. The mower had 62 original hours on it. I am very satisfied with the Scag, especially the dual channel frame. There is no need to spend 12 grand on a set up if you aren't going into business. Equipment is alot like cars, slightly used usually means a major discount.
    IMO Exmark is ok, but I've seen them break down quite a bit (used to be a city manager with a 110 acre park, all mowed with ztr's) John Deere, that green paint is mighty expensive!! Definitely do NOT go with the residential type, look around, spend the bucks for commercial grade, over the long term you will be glad you did!! Or, hire one of the highly qualified people on this site to do it. Figure out how long you can have it done before you spend the equivilent amount of money as a purchase :D

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

well would a tractor be better for your needs, as you can use attachments? if so then a simplicity prestige or a simplicity legacy would be beneficial to you.
    www.simplicitymfg.com