cant start skid steer...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by alex_kuttner, Nov 19, 2004.

1. alex_kuttner

alex_kuttner LawnSite Member

Its a Case 1840 93'mdl

Well I was up the back of the property on a steep hill pointing down the hill, all good and then it started losing power untill it almost died I stoped moving and it started running again tryed to move it died again did this a couple of times then it just died. Guessing it ran out of fuel checked it, still had a bit of fuel but almost empty.

Went and got some more fuel filled it up wouldn't start, bleed the air out of the fuel line still wouldn't start by this time I drained the battery so I tryed jump starting it still nothing. By the way it was fairly cold not so Im gonna try tommorow when its a bit warmer don't know if it will help but I don't know anything about them so yeah.......

Now ive never worked with a diesel engine, only a motorbike which revs up when its running out of fuel, so im hoping it did run out of fuel, anyway what can else can I check to get this thing going??

Oh yeah the starter motor turns over in case ya wondering...

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you still have a fuel problem. How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter? You probably still have air in the fuel system. Sometimes you have to bleed the air out several times.

3. alex_kuttner

Not sure when the filter was last changed just bought it a week ago, I bleed a few times ill try again in the morning, is it possible that it picked up a bit of dirt from the bottom of the fuel tank blocking something?

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes they can be boogers to get going. First, change the fuel filter, refill the filter when installing. the lift pump on the side of the engine should have a little lever on it.Pump the lever several times with the bleeder on the fuel filter housing open. When fuel starts coming out, shut off the bleeder. Try starting again, look for white smoke, that means she's getting fuel to the cylinders. If no smoke or just a lil smoke, go to the injector lines at the injectors. loosen one line at a time and crank it over 3 or 4 times, go to the next one and so on. If there is no fuel coming at the injectors, check the fuel shutoff selonoid on the injector pump. It looks like a temp sensor, one wire going to it. You should feel or here a slight click when the key is turned on. Good luck and good hunting! Let us know how ya make out!

5. alex_kuttner

Well I still havent got it started I changed the fuel filter, I checked the injectors they had two tubes to them one ran along side which had fuel coming through it and one going into the top of them which didnt seem to have much fuel going through?
    Theres no smoke coming out the exauhst though?
    When I bleed the injection pump air bubbles come out the return line but not always sometimes I would turn it over bleed it and there is no air but sometimes there is.
    I charged the battery up.
    Also it says in the manual to turn the key switch to on when bleeding the injection pump is that neccesary? because the buzzing noise (to let ya no its on) is so damn loud so I dont do it, ive only done it once.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If the manual says have the key on then thats what you should do. Try bleeding the system again with the key on and see if that helps. I know on the newer JD tractors they have an electric fuel pump so when you bleed the system all you have to do is open the bleeder and turn the key on and it pumps the fuel so you don't have to do it with a hand pump. I would say your skid loader probibly has a pump like this on it because I don't know any other reason you would need to have the key on.

7. alex_kuttner

I went and did it with the key on it didn't seem to make any difference the manual says to the pump it still even with the key on any way the air bubbles seem to have stoped so maybe its bleed I dont know, its giving me a headache I wana rip some stuff arrr......

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You'll probibly have to call a case dealer and get them to send out a service truck to get it going for you.

9. alex_kuttner

Im thinking it might the fuel pump because when I lossen the injectors and turn it over shouldnt it be like pissing out? Anyway anyone else has any ideas? other wise I guess I might have to call someone last resort though....

10. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like the fuel pump is pumping ok. The small line that runs down the sides of the injectors is the return line. Dont mess with it. The hard lines running in the top of the injectors is the pressure line. If there is a lot of air in the system, only lil spirts may come out when the lines are loosened. Make sure the battery is fully charged, loosen all the lines and try again. Sooner or later it'll start pissin out real good. Double check that the fuel sw on the pump is clicking, if ya cant hear ir click, hook up a 12v test light, test for power with key ON. Make sure there isnt a manual or emergency fuel shutoff on the pump that is closed. Best I can tell is, you have an air bound inj pump.