Can't think of of thread starter title..

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grandview (2006), Jun 22, 2008.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Lets say your doing a bunch of mulch jobs and at the last one you have extra mulch. The neighbor comes over and would like you to do theirs and it will only take and extra hour . You know you have leftovers and you were going to dump it anyway. So do you bid it up and maybe lose and then have to get rid of the mulch or do you price it to cover what you spent on the mulch and labor for the day?So it in effect your other jobs you did that day the profit margin went up.

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Bid it the same as any job. The neighbors will inevitably talk, your first customer finds out guy #2 got a deal, then he wants a deal. We just usually bring it back with us, but if a neighbor asks I usually just charge them for the mulch and let them install it themselves.

3. grandview (2006)

I should add ,as you mentioned I just tell them it's left over and they're getting a good deal.And they were the the lucky ones .

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

how much are we talking here we have only ever been over by about a yard at the most and the customer was charged for the original estimate so hauling it or bringing it to the next job is a bonus for us

5. grandview (2006)

I buy it bulk only talking a 2 yards ,that's all had to dump it buy not enough for big ones so if you get rid of it and make money do it. Yes I do do it a few times a year.

6. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

Take the gravy. You earned it. At the very least, this job will offset the time you ran over your <fill in name of expensive piece of equipment> with your rig.