Canteloupe/Watermelon Rind Surcharge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Jun 12, 2005.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have an elderly couple that I do the usual mowing services for. it's a typical residential/neighborhood style lot for this area.

never a problemo with these people but I'll be darned if they don't think they are still back on the old time farm where nothing is wasted.

they throw cantaloupe, watermelon rinds, banana peels into the back yard like they still have chickens! this week there was a whole rotten onion laying in the back yard!

I aint picking that stuff up and it sure make a smelly mess when I mow through it!

so I was wondering if I should hit them with a "cantaloupe/watermelon rind surcharge"?

GEO :waving:

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I would call it a fruit salad charge :p :p . Hit them up for a charge until they get the picture. Or just mow arond the stuff if you can

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Around here Geo the critters would do away with the evidence before the next mow...lol..heck, just add a ten spot to their bill.That's what we do for stuff in the lawns..

4. If they don't care, I don't care, I don't have a problem with mowing over it.

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Hit it with the mower, discharge towards the house. :p

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Charge same as if you were picking up dog doo, time is $, then talk them into a compost bin.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

nope, no extra charge. i pick up the rinds, all the branches and twigs that fell from yesterdays hurricane, i cut the grass, then i knock on the door, when my boss (customer) answeres, i drop to my knees, kiss thier dirty feet, and thank them for the oportunity to cut thier lawn.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Bill. Mow around it...critters gotta eat too ya know!