capecodjon's Truck Building Thread

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by capecodjon, Mar 24, 2010.

1. capecodjon

capecodjon LawnSite Member

Hi everybody!
    I am getting ready for an 11th season with my employer, while still setting up for some equipment for independent work.

Over the past couple years I bought two trucks, a '88 GMC Sierra 3500 pickup and an '84 Chevy C-30 dump. I've spent the past month or so restoring the '88.
    I bought a '90 Chevy as a parts truck. I needed doors, fenders bumpers trailer hitch etc.
    I started on the one ton. Special thanks to my friend Carl for helping me figure out that the upper framework was part of the utility body and could just be cut out.
    Breaking out the sandblaster

after cutting away upper metal, sandblasting, wire wheel, grinder, -prepped everything behind the gas tank.
    I applied three coats of rust neutralizer.

I pulled the gas tank and finished prepping the rear frame.
    I decided to dig in to the front.
    Here she is when I started.
    I stripped it out, repaired one wheel well and test-fitted the new fender.
    I started with the conversion to the later style Chevy grille with composite headlights.-LMAO! These GM's are so friggin' redundant! Everything was there to install a new nose, bolt holes and all.
    Here is the test fitting- :woot:

This is how she looks now- I installed the new doors, no sag, with new pins and bushings. The hood was repainted from white, not perfect but passable.
    I sandblasted and treated all underneath and repainted the front lower bumper hardware.

I installed a rear bumper and trailer hitch.

Next is installing new gas tank, new sender and fuel puimp, lines, etc.
    E-Bay is a great resource for GM parts- scored a Delco fuel pump for $60 shipped.

I'll keep the thread updated as progress continues.
  2. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a good project. Really came a long ways. Have fun.
  3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

definetly a cool project, looking forward to more pictures!
  4. slamjamrockinman

slamjamrockinman LawnSite Senior Member

Really cool project, keep this updated, I love projects like this. I would love to do this someday. Do you have access to some good tools/shop? That's my issue..
  5. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I would put a rack body or flatbed on that bad boy.. Why didn't you keep th hd steel bumper on??
  6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that's a cool project. I don't know that I'd have the patience for that, but it would be great to be able to look back and see what you did. I just redid everything on my trailer a few weeks ago, so I couldn't imagine doing a vehicle. Good luck and keep us updated.
  7. joef450snowplow

joef450snowplow LawnSite Senior Member

sweet job thats gana look mint when your done
  8. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Cool project.
  9. DobbinsINC

DobbinsINC LawnSite Member

looks good
  10. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a fun project