Caps vs. New Tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dozerman21, Mar 22, 2007.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always ran re-treads on my road tractor (except for the front), and I was wondering if you guys usually buy new or use re-treads?

I've got a tandem with 11R 24.5 radials. The price difference is around $100 per tire, maybe even a little more if I give the re-tread place some old casings. I usually replace the tires two at a time. I just didn't know if there is any advantages/disadvantages with either kind? I haven't had any problems with the re-treads coming apart or anything, they just wear down. I didn't think the life span (tread) is longer on a new tire though.

Any thoughts?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with caps I have been running bandag caps for years I just put a set of 225/70R19.5 Bandag Gripper on the back of my F-450. It cost me 1000 dollars for 4 of them new tires would have been 500 dollars more. The tire shop I deal with wanted the caps put on good casings so I got 4 Michelin casings with the gripper tread.

The only time caps fail is from people running soft tires and they don't do so well with hot pavement. Otherwise I know I will get 3 years out of the caps because the 225s are capped with 22/32 tread where as new tires in the same size only have 18/32 tread.

The new Grippers howl because the General LMT400 were basically a rib tread that were worn down to 8/32s but they are too slippery even on try pavement they spun too easy :laugh:

3. dozerman21

Gravel Rat, I figured this post would be right up your alley!:) Thanks for the info. Can I get those Grippers in the 11R 24.5 size?

4. Gravel Rat

If you go to bandag's website you can see all the tread designs that you can have. For a dump truck that see's mud the gripper tread probably won't be that good but on a smaller truck they work fine.

What kind of truck are you running ?

The other benefit of bandags is the tread cap makes the tires pretty puncture proof when it comes to running over a sharp rock. It will still go through the sidewall but the tread cap prevents tread punctures.

I know allot of people boo hiss recaps but 90% of the road alligators on the road are from people abusing tires even new tires explode and come apart.

5. dozerman21

I've got an '87 L9000. It's an older truck but it has low miles and runs good. It's also a tandem, and I'm due for 2 tires for sure, but I could probably use 4. I usually just tell my tire guy to give me something with a heavy tread to it. I'll check on those Grippers, maybe they can get them. Thanks for the info!:drinkup:

6. Gravel Rat

The Gripper is popular muni tread because its originally designed for running on pavement and snow conditions.

The tire shop you deal with can show you different options. Goodyear,Michelin,Bandag and Oliver Treads (cooper) all make retreads.