1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Captiva

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Plantculture, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

Does anyone know the shade tolerance of Captiva St. Augustine vs Seville?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Plant

I don't know about Captiva but I have found Seville to be very shade tolerance. I believe Seville can be found on the East Coast of Florida more than the Gulf Coast. Sod Grower in my region don't grow Seville any more.

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

There is a thread by someone on here, but I think it is in the land maint forum where a guy from forum used it on a hoa (I think) - it is a green something or other that posted on it. I do not have time right now as I am getting ready to head out the door but I will post a link to the thread later after I go through my threads or feel to browse through them and find it yourself.

In the meantime here is the info from IFAS. From what it says 4-6 hours which would be similar to seville. The only issues that I have heard about it is that it is hard to find, at least here in CFL and that it is showing it is more prone to fungus, which is why it is hard to find.

4. Landscape Poet

5. Landscape Poet

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have found Bitter Blue to be very Shady tolerant and Easily Available in my area. It has the same course texture of Floratan and is easily mistaken for Floratan.

I bolded Easily Available in my area because that does play a big factor.

7. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

Bitter Blue as far as I know is not readily available over here. Most places sell palmetto as shade tolerant, but I have found seville to be a better choice. However Seville is hard to get, and the December freezes fried the fields.

I've known about Captiva when it still had its research number and have been looking forward to it. Installed a couple pallets this morning, so we'll see how it does in sun and shade. My guess is this variety with a little trickery will cut mowing in half. I didn't know if anyone has personal experience with it.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Plant

Locally Available is the Biggie. East coast sod grower kept right on with Seville while our area didn't. IMHO Seville is a much better choice. I really like Seville and wished we could get it locally. HOWEVER my experience with Seville has been on the older home where Seville was well maintained and could of had a better soil base. Therefore I may have a false reading on Seville.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Missed this thread. Their ain't no trickery to it. I put it in my small front yard on July 1st of last year. I might have run the mower over it 8 times total, and three of those were to vacuum up stuff that fell out of the raintree. I bagged it every time. Total clippings in six months was less than I would have gotten with Floratam in a week in July. Seems hard to believe, but that is the case. It is a strange grass.

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I like the sound of that. So are we talking a growth habit more like zoysia than floratam?