Car Crash

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Moretta Lawn Care, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Moretta Lawn Care

Moretta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I had a customer call me yesterday to come take a look at a tree, some sod repair, and glass from an accident that occured in his front yard. I got there and this is what happened. A ditch runs the length (frontage) of his property. The car came around the corner hit the ditch and then ended up hitting his pipe which runs under his drive... causing the car to go up on two wheels smack the side of a tree and stop 2 feet from the garage where he was working. When the car hit the tree glass went everywhere... yard, flower beds, bark in the tree.. so how do I clean the glass out of everything? I thought about using the walk behind blowers to push the glass to a soild surface but his drive is gravel and the street is heavly traveled. ANY IDEAS? THANKS!

2. kmitt

kmitt LawnSite Member

Maybe rake the bulk of it up then use a shop-vac for the rest?

3. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a glass patio table that broke in the mulch beds and grass in my yard. There had to 10,000 pieces of glass from that thing. The best way I found to clean it up was just what the last person said. Rake what you can and shop vac everything. The shop vac did a great job.

4. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with gandk06, a shop vac will clean that problem up. Its nice that they dont have aired up tires to so u dont have to worry about a flat since its just rubber on a rim

5. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

i had the same thing happen in one of my yards.......shop vac the best you can

6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Little wonder vacuum. I suck up glass bottles off lawn continually and it just makes a slight sound and gone, so pieces should be no problem.

If you show up with a shop vac, geez, they might be taken back, not sure, doesn't look very impressive..?

Good luck

:)

7. Moretta Lawn Care

Moretta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Not sure what I am going to do. Shop Vac is what I was thinking...

8. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I would try a hand held blower vac.

Dave..

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

id go with a back pack blower, make a pile, shop vac the left over. charge for the time, insurance company of the driver should be paying for this. i just did a job where a car went off the road, took down a row of hedges, liliac, apple tree, minor stone wall/steps damage and then crashed into a big maple tree 10-15 ft from the house. i got over $6k out of the insurance company. insurance companies wont question a few thousand dollar bill.

funny part wasthis was his wifes Navigator he wrecked. he wrecked his brand new audi a few days earlier, then appeartly the rental car a few days after. his wife was leaving and drugs were his choice. hes in jail now

10. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you seen the sizes of glass these break into? Using a blower would be the last thing I would do. You will scatter the stuff everywhere.