car lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, May 10, 2001.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I did a bid on a car lot the other day. Nothing but hills.

The front hill is 600 ft by 50 roughly 45 degrees plus I can mow all of this with the w/b
    The middle hill is 400 ft by 50 roughly As steep as they come. Can only w/e
    The back hill is about 800 feet by 50-100 45 degrees plus I can mow half and w/e half.

The place is full of rocks big ones.
    110,000 square feet of hill. any sugestions on price?
  2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Most dealership owners around here like to pay the big bucks and hire guys working out of the trunk of a Honda! Or get one of their employees to mow it with a 25 year old snapper.
  3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure that you want that job? It sounds real tough. I couldn't hazard a guess without actually seeing that monster, but if it's as bad as you say, the client couldn't afford my PITA fee. Good luck on the bid if that's what you want.
    Bill Craig
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill, could you explain that PITA fee? :p Is that a scientific term?
  5. lsylvain

Oh man, I remember this one. I got the job and kept it for 2 years before I sold out. I actually ended up slashing my price to like $350 a cut or something because they hooked my wife up with a car and they were going to start having their guys do it. I didn't mind doing it because the giant hill in front bordered the 4 lane. and people would see my up on on that steep bank (which after reading the post I highly underestimated the steepness and the width of it.) but the entrance to the lot was past the end so there was plenty of time for a car to see me and pull over. I would give out at least 5 cards each time I mowed that front hill to people who saw me and stopped. I picked up a chain of KFC's from that, and several residentials.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! you revived your OWN old azz post! And not only that, you been there done that and sold out already. From reading the description it sounds scary to say the least... Iv'e been to bigger towns and seen properties like that, certianly nothing that extreme around here! I always look in awe and wonder just HOW does some of those slopes get cut?! I love the ones where there's a big slope down to a 10 foot high retaining wall, striaght down to a parking lot below. Theres NO WAY I'd even take a push mower on some of those for fear of slipping and ending up in a crumpled heap at the bottom...
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

45 degrees? In Florida? You can't walk up something that steep let alone run a mower on it.
  8. lsylvain

It was in WV. it was 45 degrees easy. The ferris has a nice wide stance and it was tricky at first but once you knew what parts to avoid and how to do it it was no problem other than I would go threw about 3 pairs of boots a year and a set of tires.