1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Car mowing advice needed.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sandgropher, May 11, 2007.

1. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Hello it seems that the trend for growing grass on cars has taken off in the last 6-12 months here in Perth ,Western Australia, a local radio station 92.9 pm is offering big prizes for the best grass car, a lady in the next suburb has called me to mow her car and get it looking great for the contest, which ends in 3 weeks.

This is the first time i have done a car, i am thinking simple hand clippers would be the way to go rather that petrol driven machinery trimmers etc, i am also thinking of giving the car a light smattering of urea or anthos to green the lawn up quick or maybe just light fertilizer.

How much should i charge for a car and whats the best way to go about it, the car is a VW Beetle simalar to the photo below, thanks

2. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

I think a Flymo hover mower might work for this "lawn". :laugh:

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Ya i wouldn't hit it with any gas powered machine.....Use hand clippers, hit it with some light fertilizer to green it up, and charge her a premium if she wants it took look the best possible for the competition! Good luck.....
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

very sharp hand hedge shears. I'd use liquid fertilizer through a hose end sprayer. Good luck- I've never done a car before.
  5. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i'd get out my micro Z with the optional electro-magnetic sure grip assist -crank that puppy up to high so i wouldn't fall off the sides - strap in with the five point belt system and rip it up - man that thing works great at any angle on any kind of turf over steel as long as the turfs no deeper then 2 or 3 inches
  6. linesider

linesider LawnSite Member

Sandgropher, where in Perth are you. I grew up in Maddington/Gosnells. Still have a brother in Lesmurdie. We go back every five years or so. Moved to California in 79 and currently live in TN.
  7. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the adivce, i think i will use a fertilizer thats low in iron as i guess the grass gets plenty of iron growing on a car , i wonder what other services i can offer maybe airateing , the roots would have a hard time getting oxygen IMO,,,,,,,,,,i am thinking around $50 for VWs rising to $150 for Rolls Royces, will be looking at yearly contracts when i figure how fast the grass grows, maybe i will set myself up as the citys only car mowing contractor.

Linesider i live in the Southern Suburbs down Rockingham way.
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

If people are crazy enough to want grass growing on their cars, Id charge a lot more than $50 to mow it. If u can develope the art of cutting it very nicely, that skill would be pricey IMO.
    Let us know how it turns out and how u did it. Id love to see pictures during & after.
  9. Double Cut

Double Cut LawnSite Member

Do it for free and see if you can advertise on the car! (license plate or something)

"If we can maintain grass on this car just think of what we can do for your lawn!"

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Now here in the USA, it's usually when mowing the lawn that we find our long lost car :laugh:
    Pricewise we charge the same, thou I've always wondered if we shouldn't get paid extra for finding cars.
    Like yourself, I would agree that it's more for the Rolls, less for the bug.