Car related problem 97 Eagle talon

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lawn Masters, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

My cousin brought me his Eagle talon, which right now, makes a loud tapping sound in the engine, I think in the valve cover area. not quite sure what it is, but I want to have a good idea before I just tear into it to repair something. also, his oil pan was almost 100% empty when I looked at it. had to add like 5 quarts of oil to that car.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Eagle Talon's are the same as mitsubishi eclipses.

The engine in that Talon (4G63 I believe), probably has hydraulic lifters. When you run the engine out of oil like he did the lifters will collapse, allowing the valve lash to run amuch and create the tapping sound you heard.

If changing the oil and letting it build oil pressure didn't fix it, you'll have to replace/clean the collapsed lifters individually.

Of course, if its a cam on shim design, then it won't have lifters at all, just rockers riding on the cam. You'll be able to tell once you pull the valve cover.

That generation of engines had a lot of problems, including a bad design that starved the main bearings for oil. Most of those engines end up with a walking crank by 100k.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info, my cousin aint exactly gonna like that, but its gotta be fixed.