car

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lsu03, Feb 24, 2008.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

is it possible to run a lawn service with a car while still having class?(if you know what i mean)

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, just call yourself hillbilly lawncare or real redneck lawn care. You can,I know someone who does but it doesn't look professional and after talking with him last year he said he can't seem to get into the areas we take care of. I wander why? He can only get into the poorest areas where there is little if any money to be had.

3. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

you can use a car to mow lawns, there is a kid running around here with an older impala and a 5x8 trailer. if i were you though, i would try to find a good used truck. most older fullsize chevys and fords are around $500-$1000 in my area.

4. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

my parents would give me the car. i have already tried to get them to consider buying me a truck but they say the want a vehicle that gets good gas mileage.

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

How are you going to tow.:waving:

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If they are wanting something with good gas mileage then have them get you a little Ford Ranger 4 cyl or Chevy S10 4cyl they both get good mileage and would be much better than a car.

7. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

buy your own truck

if you want to be in buisness... think of it as a nessacary expense...

its impossible even with room on the trailer to effectivly do the job

what if someone wants a few yards of mulch, has yards of leaves to remove...

i say a cheap used mini truck is tons better then a car even if it is free...

just my .02

Nate

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, get a small P/U, even if it's a little long in the tooth. Where will you put a small mower, edger and blower? Not all in a car's trunk, that's for sure.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Have seen some work out of hatchbacks...or small station wagons. While this would make one self-contained and more secure than an exposed trailer for those times attending school...it also seems like there would be a lot of dust and fumes.

10. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

i bought an '86 toyota pickup for $500 that gets over 20 mpg. like i said it can be done with a car but you're much better off with a truck.