carb adjustment

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by markjenna, May 15, 2005.

1. markjenna

markjenna LawnSite Member

I was mowing today and started to get black smoke then white, just got it back from service and have mowed with it about 4 times. check the plug and carbed up. changed the gas from a different gas station and same thing. where is the gas mixture screw, because gas is just pouring out of the carb, too rich.. Mark... 52/20 fastrack....1024@netnitco.net

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't believe there is a mixture adjustment that can be made in the field, although I am not a Honda expert either.
    With emissions regulations in the last few years, being able to adjust a carburetor is a thing of the past.
    Now.... I doubt it is a fuel mixture problem, I would get the unit into your dealer ASAP.

Pj

3. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Please get the unit to a dealer to inspect the carburetor.

Also, ask the dealer to be sure and check the carburetor vent tube, it is possibly clogged and causing the float to be stuck open.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products
    Authorized Honda Engine Distributor
    Kansas and Missouri

4. markjenna

dealer backed up 3 weeks, so I took off the carb and cleaned it out, no cleaner just a little air. No change, tried again and no help same running ruff. I know it is getting too much gas because if I shut the gas off it runs great for about 5 sec. before it shuts off. What is the electronitc brass thing on the side of the carb, is it some elec flow? And how do I check the vac, hose.
    I know this is carb related, just need some help...New carb and how much is it 20hp v-twin honda....Mark

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Mark,
    Who is your dealer?
    E-mail me your info and your dealers info, and I will have our Indiana rep look into this for you.

Pj

6. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Make sure the oil level is not over full. This will cause the smoke and the rich like issues. The oil will get pumped into the carb from the internal engine vent.

7. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Please check the carburetor vent tube, it can be found under the horsepower plate on the to of the engine.

Also, Is teh air cleaner oil fouled?

Jim Needham

8. markjenna

no oil in the air filter, I am going to buy a new needle tomorrow and see if the float is floating. Didn't have time today.. Will keep you posted. What would happen if the vent tube is clogged. Mark

9. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Significant overfueling under load. The float will be locked in its uppermost position.

Please remove this vent tube from the carburetor and run the mower prior to any additional actions.

To access the tube, remove the fuel pump cover and locate a vacuum tube attached to the carburetor without a clamp. Remove the tube with needle nose pliers and operate the engine. If this tube is clogged the improvement will be immediate.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products
    Authorized Honda Engine Distributor
    Kansas and Missouri