Carb Adjustments, Mower Stalling

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vaulta, Mar 25, 2007.

1. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I have a 48" walk behind Kawi, a week ago my mower would not start. Pulled the carb cleaned it, know it starts but dyes after a couple of seconds or when I adjust the choke. white smoke is coming out too. Do I need too adjust the carbertor jets?thanx

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it’s smoking because you are letting it run rich with the choke, I'm no expert on repairs but only running on choke is a sign of water in the fuel system. Before I take it to the shop I would recommend draining the fuel tank, purging the lines, dropping the bowl on the carb (clean it well), and see what she does with some new fresh fuel. Also get rid of that fuel sitting in your gas can from last season. Start with new fuel, if that doesn’t work take it to the shop.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Sounds good but I wonder about the new fuel formula too. ethanol also separates pretty quick too

4. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

isnt thier ajustments on my carbertor?

5. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a problem with my bike cuz of bad fuel. Changed the fuel and put some fuel system cleaner in it. Then I brought it out on the highway and barried the throttle to burn the junk out of the system. Works fine now. I didn't have any smoke though and I didn't have to hold out the choke to keep it running but it was hesitant if I pulled back on the throttle before changing the fuel. It's definitely something worth troubleshooting before you bring it in to the shop. It cost me a 4 gallon tank of gas and a can of injector cleaner

6. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Dunno how many carbs you have on that mower. I don't know mowers very well but I do know that if you have more than one, like I got 4 on my bike, it can get a little complicated - especially if the carbs are jetted.