carb adjustments?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SER, Dec 12, 2005.

1. SER

SER LawnSite Member

Hi all.
    Need some information on carburetor adjustments. I rebuilt a carburetor on a 4 cycle snow thrower and wanted to know the some tips on how you all adjust them. I rebuilt a carb, put it back on a snowthrower, put fresh gas in, closed the choke, and started it up. I let it warm up to operating temperature. I adjusted the fuel intake and the air mix but I could not get it to run properly when you took the choke off. It would stall when I took the choke off.
    Any suggestions??? Thanks

S.E.R.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

What type of carb is it? What is the serial #? We need more information than that to help ya out, there are about 4000 different carbs out there, all are different.Also, I would like to know how you adjusted fuel intake? And Air mix???

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just as a starting point on a 4 cycle carb. If it is adjustable, The adjustment on the side of most is the low speed and should be lightly closed the opened 1 1/2 turns. The adjuster on the bottom or bowl is the high speed and should be closed lightly and opened 2 turns. This will in most cases get the engine running without choke. Once warmed up set the throttle at idle and adjust either direction until it idles the smoothest. Then give it full throttle and adjust until it runs the smoothest then recheck at idle.
    If it still wont run unless choke is on after theses adjustments more cleaning is in order in the main jet area.