Carb Flooding

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Atlantic Lawn, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Went out to start one of my B&S 4 stroke motors, wouldn't start and I noticed gas was streaming out of the carb. Any thoughts ? Thanks Steve

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

You more than likely have a float or needle/seat problem. The float sits in the bowl and opens the needle when gas level gets too low in the bowl. As the level rises the float will rise and close needle valve. Floats sometimes develope a hole and get gas inside, making them not want to float. Causing gas to rise above the desired level(leaking). Or the needle could be worn or a piece of crud could be keeping it from closing. Causing the same situation.

3. Probably a carburetor with a float in it. Float needle could have debris in it, keeping it from stopping fuel. Cleaning carburetor and replacing fuel should do it.
    Post engine model # and I can give better information

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

You have probably 3 options.

1. Turn off tank valve (if you have one) and only turn on when using. If gas is leaking out while running you need to go further.

2. Take carb cleaner and spray into fuel inlet(this may dislodge crud).

3. (best option) take carb apart and check/replace float and or needle. These are cheap parts. If you have a new needle and a good float and the leaking continues a float adjustment is nessesary. The needle ataches to a small tang that can be adjusted (bent) up or down to adjust fuel level in bowl.

Mark

5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I'll give the carb cleaner and blo-out a try then on to replacement of float and needle if that doesn't work. Thanks for the replies, as usual you guys are the greatest. Thanks Steve