Carb. Leakes Gas

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ant, Jan 6, 2002.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

11 hp briggs/ic carb leakes gas while off sitting in shop.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Without seeing the carb or a little better explanation of where the fuel is leaking from I can suggest 2 things. Replace the fuel line as it may have a crack in it or replace the round gasket on the bottom of the float bowl where the air mixture screw goes through the float bowl. If you want a simple fix just close the fuel shutoff valve.
  3. ant

rich thanks forv your reply,i will see if i can take a picture and post it..
  4. Derdader

Derdader LawnSite Member

My 11 hp B&S was doing the same thing. Between the air intake and the engine is a butterfly valve I assume is the govenor. This butterfly is mounted on a rod which requires rubber seals on each end that prevents raw gas from leaking out. Mine were dry rotted away and they are NOT included in the carb rebuild kit. Hope this helps.
  5. ant

i took a picture of it......

6. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

Richard's right about the gasket on the bowl. That's what happened to a 7 HP B&S vertical we have. We left the gas on, and it ruined the gasket.:( Cost about $5 bucks to replace the gasket!!
  7. Remo Sid

Remo Sid LawnSite Member
    from USA

Sounds like the needle and seat need some attention. Or may have a small hole in the float.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Remo Sid on this. Replace the needle and seat. If it has a brass or plastic float shake it and if it has any moisture in it replace that too. If it's a solid float put it in a small cup of fuel (please be carefull, this stuff is flammable beyond belief) and if more than half of the float sinks replace it. Also replace the bowl gaskets.
  9. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

These carbs love to flood. I would try the new needle and seat
    and you will probably tear the gaskets too. If it still gives you
    problems, then an inline shutoff may be the way to go. Be careful
    on the teardown of this carb, the jet must be removed from the
    bottom before trying to take the carb apart. Of course check out
    the float while it is in your hand.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with some of these other guys. If the leak is coming out of the throat of the carb and then running down, it's probably the float or needle/seat. Good luck.