1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Carb. Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by keith826, Mar 12, 2003.

1. keith826

keith826 LawnSite Member

O.K. I rebuilt my carb (overhaul kit) and now my Briggs will not start... The gas for some reason is not reaching the fuel pump/ carb.. It comes out of the tank to the fuel filter (somewhat) but does not get sucked up to the carb. Not a drop of gas in the carb.
    -I took off the hose to the shut off valve and then opened the valve and the gas comes out good, But does not fill up the fuel filter when the hose is attached.
    -I checked the float.
    -I checked the gas cap(hole).
    -I got all new fuel lines and filter.
    -I re-assembled the fuel pump.
    If I put some gas directly into the carb. she fires right up. But of course dies out when the gas burns out.
    I am so stuck here, Any help will be very much appreciated.
    Thanks Again, Keith
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Discconect the fuel line from the carb and crank the motor over a couple of times to see if the fuel pump is working.
  3. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Keith, check the inside of your gas tank to make sure nothing is floating in there or plugging the fuel outlet. Also, if your Briggs has a fuel pump, make sure that you have your hoses in the right place. Make sure that the Vacuum side of the fuel pump is connected to the crankcase or valve cover (depending on your engine). Also, I see that you said you re-assembled the fuel pump, are the springs and diaphragms in the right places?