carb same from 21hp Kawi..to 23hp Kawi?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowisme, May 4, 2008.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I have a persistent throttle up/down on carb- cleaned (was like new inside) and still did same. I have a exact replacement off a 21hp kawi that ran perfect..until rod went that is..but carb worked perfect. appearence is identical..will the 21hp one be to low of jets or do you think same jetting between the two? 21hp is FH640V..and 23hp is FH680V. thanks! Geno.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. mowisme

Looks like maybe I can just swap..worse senerio is I'd go from 23hp down to 21. sure would be much differance. I can 'soak' mine to first and try that- don't need mower now anyway. Thanks.-Geno

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Geno,

Before swapping the carbs try this, Set the throttle to the position where it surges the most then slowly apply the choke. If the surge goes away there is a restriction in the main circuit of the carb or could be a leaking intake gasket, Spray the intake while running with carb cleaner to see if the engine changes tune.

If neither of the above have any effect on the surging check/adjust the governor as below;

[​IMG]

Also make sure spring "C" is connected to the carb and governor arm and not broken.

Good Luck

5. mowisme

Thanks Rob- I'll try as you mentioned..thanks on schematic and procedure. Gene

6. mowisme

I couldn't get to govener without messing things up..but I did re-clean carb super good and did seal intake gasket with a light film of RTV and it is running flawless. The govenor was pretty full of crud too, so cleaned real good. Thanks- Gene