carbon build up on stihl back pack blower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jlc31, Nov 3, 2003.

1. jlc31

jlc31 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i have a problem with carbon build up on my stil back pack blower can anyone help?
  2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Remove the spark arrestor screen and use Opti-2 2 cycle oil for your mix.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Same problem and fixed it exactly like Bruce said
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

You may have to take the muffler off to scrape the entire port. It really is easy but you have to be very careful to not touch the piston. Also, I do it so the exhaust port is pointing towards the ground so no carbon goes into the cylinder. One more bit of advice, when reattaching the muffler do NOT overtighten the bolts or else you will have to use helicoils to redrill the holes (no fun at all). Good luck
  5. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

Just like the other post said you have to use quality mix and remember different gas stations have somewhat different gas.
  6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Remove the spark arrester screen and switch to Amsoil 100:1 premix but, run it at an 80:1 ratio. Your problem will disappear.:p
  7. idugaholez

idugaholez LawnSite Member

All my small engines that are a mix do that. Once in a while, you have to take off the screen, and take a plumbers torch to it. It will burn off the carbon. It only takes a couple of seconds, and then it runs great.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

clean port, use amsoil. I mix at 50 to1 2.6 oz per gal.
  9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What brand of oil have you been using?
  10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. Lose the screen. Take it off every piece as soon as you get it and run quality oil. Easy problem to fix.